Couple A/C questions

03ExplorerSPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT Premium
Whenever I have the A/C running and take off from a stop light or sign with around 1/2 throttle the air from the A/C becomes warmer and when I take away some throttle it goes back to cold. Is this normal?

Second question:
When the truck is idleing with the A/C on there is a hum from the system. As soon as I turn the A/C off it goes away. It only does this at idle. My '95 I used to have never did this so I'm not sure if this is normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First A. Sounds like the AC is cutting out (as it should at Wide Open Throttle) but doing so at far less than WOT. There is a module that cuts out the AC to give you extra power when you have it say, in passing gear, or have really floored it.. That should not be cutting the power to the clutch at those low power settings that you describe - if that is the case.

2nd A - (Q really) be more specific, where is the hum coming from? pitch, intensity?

Glacier991 said:
First A. Sounds like the AC is cutting out (as it should at Wide Open Throttle) but doing so at far less than WOT. There is a module that cuts out the AC to give you extra power when you have it say, in passing gear, or have really floored it.. That should not be cutting the power to the clutch at those low power settings that you describe - if that is the case.

2nd A - (Q really) be more specific, where is the hum coming from? pitch, intensity?

Ok I'll see if the dealer can do anything to adjust the AC cutout thing.

As for the hum, it's kind of a mid to high pitch sound. It's not a high pitch screech though. The sound only is there when the A/C kicks in when I turn it on. So it's coming from where ever the A/C unit is.

The humm or buzz is likely the Idle Air Compensator (IAC) Do a search on here and you'll find out a LOT about it (assuming THAT is what it is - likely the culprit). You may want to open the hood and try and localize it more closely for us (smile).

Ok I have located where the sound is coming from. It's coming from the driver's side front fender area somewhere around the battery. When the vehicle is idleing I can here whatever is making the sound click on and off. It only does it when the A/C is on though. Any ideas?

a hunm or a click? The AC clutch will click, rather loudly... on a low charge it will click on and of rather rapidly..... every few seconds potentially.

I can hear it clicking on and off. Every few seconds it will click off, then turn back on. Everytime it clicks on the hum is there. I'm definitely going to show this to the dealer since I know where the sound is coming from now.

03ExplorerSPT said:
Whenever I have the A/C running and take off from a stop light or sign with around 1/2 throttle the air from the A/C becomes warmer and when I take away some throttle it goes back to cold. Is this normal?

Second question:
When the truck is idleing with the A/C on there is a hum from the system. As soon as I turn the A/C off it goes away. It only does this at idle. My '95 I used to have never did this so I'm not sure if this is normal.

Did yours ever make a like pop noise when you turn off your AC. Mine makes a pop noise when I turn it off, and also when I idle it rattle my front moldings. But I think thats because I have it on full blast.

Back