couple questions about a '98 5.0l Expo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

couple questions about a '98 5.0l Expo

pete kauenhofen

Reaction score
City, State
Aylmer, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EB 5.0l
ok, its been said before, I perused through many, many threads, which almost ALL seem to start with a headers related question, then go severely off topic!, if I am understanding correctly, Torque monster headers are No longer in production, and were also very highly priced... so, IS there another option? the reading I've done is pointing towards a "NO", surely someone has found something by now no??
- I'm engaged in 3 projects, a '66 EB that's getting a '98 Expo mill, which is staying efi and getting a flywheel for a manual trans, and reading on here has me thinking I may need a new Hm balancer? or no if I keep the accessories as is...
- second is a '73 EB also getting an Expo mill, but likely getting carb and all that, so fairly easy
- 3rd is a drag race project, using a '98 Expo, stripped down and re-skinned as a Ranger, and we all know how much the Rangers lack traction, so, keep the expo 4x4 and run it that way!
so about headers? has anyone tried the "P" head specific ones available from BC Bronco's, or Bronco Hut? I bought a set of the Bronco Hut units, look like a very good quality build, ceramic coated, made specifically for the P head 302, and designed to fit into the tight engine bay of an early Bronco, which, upon a visual inspection, look VERY promising to fit the Expo...also looking for quick tips on bolt on mods for this mill, like injectors, mass air, TB etc...does anyone have knowledge on what works well? here in Ontario, there seems to be a void now as these are getting too old to be played with it seems, and all have moved on and upward! I'm guessing/hoping that with a much better exhaust and the induction system upgraded, a program change is in order. looks like I'll be getting the SCT x4 with a tune, to change shifts, delete PATS and anything else stupid, and write a good curve for waking this motor up! kinda wonder how much abuse that trans and Tcase are going to take...anyone have an idea here? lastly, if I was to change cams, who has a known favourite? and did you have to change the V springs and rockers? do the heads need machining to accept new springs for the exhaust valves? thinking about changing to a 1.7 ratio rocker, but reading about clearance issues with the compressed spring...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s unlikely any out of the box headers will clear the steering shaft. The 4r70w will likely stand up to any power mods you will make to a 5.0. The transfer case is a slightly weaker link, but eats up a fair amount of power. If I was going to build a drag model, I’d surely use a 2wd. Much, MUCH, higher HP cars manage to launch just fine in RWD, and the extra power would be worth it the remainder of the track.

torque monsters are back up and running. bob is in charge of them once again, not al's headers. put a shift kit in the trans, and give it a once once over. if your going to run it in 4x4, dump the awd case, and go 4406. it is heavier, but will stand up better then the awd. or you can get a pair of cal tracks for a ranger.

I just assumed these had the 5R55e in them, how I was mistaken!! I know that the 2 wheel drive rides are better at the track, drag raced a '73 Maverick for years and it was a blast. when I make this into a Ranger is when the 4x4 will come in handy, may even try my hand at road course with this, depending on how it turns out...that's likely where the Tcase will have a serious problem. the torque monster headers, I'm just not keen on the way they come up into the engine bay, that looks like a real good way to warm up the engine bay more, which I think is a bad thing.

These are the closest set of cheap longtube headers I've found. They are Hedman headers for a early 70s mustang with a 351w (I'll add part number). In the pics for comparison is a set of gt40 FMS headers. Torque monsters are definitely the best headers you can bolt in.

20180110_185127.jpg

20180110_185208.jpg

ok, so there is hope. so first things first, prep body. If that goes as planned, then full steam ahead.

Back