couple questions about overdrive and 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

couple questions about overdrive and 4wd

weh87

Reaction score
City, State
scottsboro, alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mounty 5.0
hey guys! i have a 96 eddie with a 4.0ohv 4wd. when i push the OD OFF button the light doesnt come on but OD disengages but sometimes when i first start it up in the mornings reverse takes about 6 seconds or so to go in and sometimes when it goes inin reverse when cold the rpms drops the od light flashes. so i turn it off and back on it works fine. also today i finally put my truck in 4wd but i never had any lights come on and i never heard any noises like it engaged. any ideas? thanks in advance

The OD Off light not going on is probably a loose connection in the instrument panel for the light - on my '97 the OD light doesn't work half the time. I don't think there will be any sound switching into 4HI as it's an electric clutch. Granted the 4HI light should go on. The true test is to find some loose dirt or mud and check if the front wheels get power in 4WD.

The 6-second delay in reverse plus OD flashing is cause for concern and should be investigated. Check the trans fluid level plus it should be clear, reddish and not smell burnt. How many miles on your Eddie?

well true mileage is unknown it stopped counting at 153k and trans fluid looks good and smells normal

i checked all fuses and relays and they are all good. any ideas guys?

Back