Cover for brake lines with running boards removed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cover for brake lines with running boards removed?

bluesq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited 4x4
I took off the "mom steps" since they were faded and kinda lame looking but once they were off I noticed how exposed the brake lines are. Is there a cover made for the brake lines? If not I might just refinish the running boards and put them back on. I feel like the brake lines are super exposed with the running boards off. Anyone else have a tip or trick that I can use to have the running boards off while having protection for those lines?

1 (1).jpg

1 (2).jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't worry too much about them...lots of trucks are the same way.

Unless you do a lot of off roading...

...Unless you do a lot of off roading...

Yeah, once in a while. Clearly it's not set up for anything major but I hit the desert from time to time. I think the pic below is the thing I'm looking for. Other threads say this is part 6L2Z-7810176-AA but it's a tough one to find.

Other trucks are setup this way too? That seems really sketchy.

download.jpg

If you are hitting stuff with the potential to damage your brakelines, your brakes should be low on the list of worries. Its super common for them to be run along the frame like that, because its one of the safest places for them.

I had taken my running boards off because I also think it looks better without them, but eventually put them back on, my wife and daughter are grateful, and it makes messing with stuff on the roof rack a lot easier.

Those are not your brake lines by the way, they are the parking brake cables.

The routing is commonplace especially with ladder frame vehicles. We beat the snot out of our super duty trucks with the same routing dragging the frame quite a bit and never have had issues. If you didn't have issues before with running boards I don't see how you would without running boards.

I'll echo the comment above. Virtually every pickup truck I've owned that had a mechanical parking brake had the cable located in a similar spot, exposed out on the frame rail like that. Sometimes covered by steps or running boards, but usually not. With extensive off road and construction site use, no issues.

I have been dragging my Explorer's frame over rocks for 20+ years and never once damaged the park brake cables.

You might be able to get a metal shop to make you a piece of steel or aluminum L-channel that you bolt onto the frame and paint it black, or possibly buy ready-made L-channel but I don't know how thin you can get it with enough width, would probably be more like plate thickness while the metal shop could use sheet thickness, maybe 12 gauge to reduce cost and weight.

Update to this, you guys were totally right. However, after a trip to the desert, I almost wanted those running boards back. I think they protect the rocker panels and really it doesn't decrease height clearance. Too bad they're so dated - is there any running board options that people run on the 4th gen with a more 'modern' or less 'soccer mom' look?

I got a pair of great looking OEM running boards for our Eddie Bauer from a junk yard for $ 150 or something like that. IMHO nothing beats the OEM look.

The covers you are looking for came from the factory on cheaper Explorers. They are the same from 2002-2010. You should be able to find a used set somewhere.

Looney's right. They are "frame hiders" and come with the Police Package. I took the running boards off my '10 Limited and ordered the plastic frame covers from Tasca. The stupid things were expensive, maybe $80 each. Look for a wrecked police car and it will have them.

The Expeditions have no covers for their parking brake cables when not equipped with running boards. They, like the F150's look fine without them.

Back