• Register Today It's free!

cowl snorkel

nine6sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Dunbar, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4x4
OK i know A LOT of people on here have snorkels and have seen them all types of ways but i have only seen one maybe two write ups on snorkels. They seem to be for people that use their rig for off-roading only OR don't really care about looks. I want mine to be very functional yet not look like i just spent $100 on duct tape and "afroengineered" a pipe. So I'm going to attempt to do a simple write up probably Sunday? after i do my install. I bought my materials today and yes maybe i did only spend $17 tax and all but i plan to make it look somewhat presentable or hide the ugly for the most part ha-ha. I'm not trying to offend anyone, everyone that has a snorkel I've seen has given me an idea or two and i admire people doing there own thing. This is just my version and open for criticism.
2011-11-17191452.jpg

BTW I'm open to suggestions...problems need to be avoided we're going out sat. and i need it ready haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has NO duct tape and cost a LOT less then $100.

picture.php

As far as suggestions, i used this pipe hanger from Homedepot to hold the top. Its screwed into the A-pillar inside the door jam, hidden behind the weatherstripping.

92290d3c-5e92-42c3-b45b-4c3dab1bf42a_300.jpg

that looks good but im not planning on taking mine all the way up...i just read my post its sounds a little duechebagish! i apologize ha hard to get across what im trying to say. mine is just going to the cowl...any deeper then i dont need to be there

my actual concern is pipe size no pun intended... i chose 2inch but thinking it maybe to small but then again three inch might be too big the only writeup for a cowl induction was off Ranger station the guy used dryer pipe i think nd it was in diff. sizes such as 2 3/8 or some craziness like that unless im overlooking something on here?

OK so i made mine needless to say in a quick hurry and it turned out PERFECT in workin aspect.

2011-11-19124630.jpg

its simple doesn't show and it works for what i do i burried it in a hole got stuck nd almost flipped but DIDNT suck water. had the ultimate test for it tonight and passed my expectations. im getting a real snorkel soon but this is just to get me by.

did you have to mess with those structural pieces in there at all? did you have to bend your body panel to make it fit inside? can you show a picture of it with the body panel back on? sorry for the question bomb but i wana get this done so i can go back to a new spot we found. im thinkin of doin almost exactly what you did except usen a hole saw to cut a hole in the ac cowling (right next to where your piping stopped) and usen one more joint to intake from there.

scoop induction. i can dig it man. is it just one of those stick on scoops turned backwards and hosed through the hood?

Here's mine. 1st pic shows the snorkel extended full length for off roading. 2nd pic shows it set up for everyday use. The other 2 are just a different view and a close up of where it exits the fender.
snorkel1.jpg

snorkel3.jpg

snorkel4.jpg

snorkel2.jpg

If I get a chance I'll get a couple of pics of the air box setup.

ive decided to go yet another way now. cylindrical pre-cleaner with a pre-screen, intake pipe goes strait down to where most folks drill their snorkel hole then an air box set up.
think of the desert storm era Humvees. kinda like that.

last night i finished my temporary cowl snorkel that ima need for the weekend ima take pictures of it later went strait through the engine bay. looks cool, discreet, and a lot easier to keep an eye on for malfunction than one that runs through the side.

OK so i made mine needless to say in a quick hurry and it turned out PERFECT in workin aspect.

2011-11-19124630.jpg

its simple doesn't show and it works for what i do i burried it in a hole got stuck nd almost flipped but DIDNT suck water. had the ultimate test for it tonight and passed my expectations. im getting a real snorkel soon but this is just to get me by.

Why don't you brace it a little better and run it like it is? I like homebrew stuff.

you can get it from any aftermarket part store or auto zone in the united states

Back