• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Crackdown targeting all drivers set for oct 21-28

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
say this on one of the Trucking forums I frequent and thought i would pass it along.....

Crackdown targeting all drivers set for Oct. 21-28

No matter whether you’re driving a tractor-trailer or a personal vehicle, law enforcement officers across the country are gearing up for an enforcement blitz set for Oct. 21-28.

The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration are coordinating the enforcement effort with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Governor’s Highway Safety Association, International Association of Chiefs of Police and American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.

The week-long program is a spin-off of the Ticketing Aggressive Cars and Trucks program sponsored by FMCSA. Ticketing Aggressive Cars and Trucks – or TACT for short – is a program using enforcement, education, media and evaluation to reduce fatalities and injuries resulting from acts such as cutting off, tailgating, and speeding around trucks.

The program pairs law enforcement with truckers. Officers ride along in the trucks watching out for violations by both drivers of passenger vehicles and truckers. The officer in the truck calls ahead to additional officers in patrol units who then stop the car or truck. Not all stops result in tickets, many of the programs hand out brochures explaining many of the common dangerous maneuvers passenger vehicle drivers commit around trucks.

The Oct. 21-28 enforcement blitz coordinators intend to build on the success of the TACT program. Law enforcement plans to focus on several specific violations.

The plan includes:
Removal of unsafe and fatigued commercial vehicle drivers from the highways;
Take enforcement action against drivers who fail to buckle up; and
Take enforcement action against non-commercial drivers operating in an unsafe manner around trucks and buses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
Yes Sir, for the last 9 years

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
Freight or otherwise? (if you don't mind)

If you don't mind, PM me a link to that forum. I got my CDL a while back, drive occasionally, not nearly often enough.

I wonder how many professional drivers there are on here?

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
Freight or otherwise? (if you don't mind)

If you don't mind, PM me a link to that forum. I got my CDL a while back, drive occasionally, not nearly often enough.

I wonder how many professional drivers there are on here?

Freight, right now I am working for Schneider National on thier GM dedicated hauling/delivering Auto Parts to GM dealers in the Phoenix Metro area.

the site i got the first post from is www.OOIDA.com

And there are a few drivers on here that I have seen . but screen names escape me right now.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Does this also apply to school buses? I use to drive a school bus about 18 years ago, and people pass on the right, ring horns, refuse to stop when the bus has flashing lights, and even curse when you are required to block the street to let a kid off.

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
I would assume so if your lucky enough to have a cop nearby

99stocksport

Reaction score
City, State
Clemson, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
this is kinda scary to me...i mean what qualifies as "unsafe" driving around trucks, and why can they just pull you over to give you a brochure? i dono what i think about this

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Ticketing Aggressive Cars and Trucks – or TACT for short – is a program using enforcement, education, media and evaluation to reduce fatalities and injuries resulting from acts such as cutting off, tailgating, and speeding around trucks.

Hmm, I guess their idea of education is to give out tickets. I sure haven't heard a peep about this until now...

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Freight, right now I am working for Schneider National on thier GM dedicated hauling/delivering Auto Parts to GM dealers in the Phoenix Metro area.

If you get some personal time, you should stop by one of these days... We've got room for the rig:D

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
They did the same thing this summer.
Funny thing is I never saw one cop on the hi-way or anywhere for that matter.

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
They did the same thing this summer.
Funny thing is I never saw one cop on the hi-way or anywhere for that matter.

Around here, they always have ads on tv for the state patrol for weeks leading up to the fourth of July, Memorial day, and such occasions, saying that they are "cracking down" this weekend, and how no officers will be off. They never seem to have more out on these occasions, though.

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
That's because the donut shops are open on holidays too :D

OK...OK... I'm just Kidding, I have the utmost respect for those who perform a thankless job.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
We've heard about this as well- I work dispatch for a national carrier in Grand Rapids, MI and we've already been contacted about this. All you truckers out there know what the MC enforcement can do for your SAFER ratings... Be careful out there... :thumbsup:

I have to say that about 3 years ago I was coming up behind a stopped school bus and the car in front of me pulled right to see if there was anyone outside the bus, then went around the left. Unfortunately, there was a young man, maybe 9 or 10 (?) that just walked around the left and this moron clipped the poor kid with his mirror. It grabed his backpack strap, spun him around, and tore it off his shoulder- he's not only lucky he didn't get killed, he's lucky he didn't get draged by the pack by this moron. At first the guy that hit him floored it, I could tell becasue the back of the car dropped when I was trying to get the plate- but then he eased off pulled over because he knew he was busted. Even if he did stop and fess up, I wish I could have legally beat the crap out of him for doing that. All for the sake of getting wherever he was going 30 seconds earlier. Luckily, the boy ended up with just some bruises, but come on... Is anything that important that someone needs to run around a stopped school bus?

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
Hey,I know all about that school bus stuff. I grew up in the Lancaster PA area, when I was 14 I almost got run over by an Amish horse and buggy getting on the school bus, no joke! The guy ran right through the light and with the sound of the engine I didn't hear the horse coming anyway my cousin pulled me out of the way. It makes me laugh now, but it was serious then. I think the guy got fined, but since they don't have licenses theres not much the cops could do about it.