• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Cracked Fog Light

jamers99

Reaction score
City, State
Land O Lakes, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Explorer Sport
When you say the Fog light is broken, do you mean the bulb itself? To access the fog lamp bulbs I had to remove 3 or 4 screws below the fog light under the front corner valance. Then the plastic can be peeled back to give you access to the back of the fog.

I did not have to go in through the wheel area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
When you say the Fog light is broken, do you mean the bulb itself? To access the fog lamp bulbs I had to remove 3 or 4 screws below the fog light under the front corner valance. Then the plastic can be peeled back to give you access to the back of the fog.

I did not have to go in through the wheel area.
I would assume he is talking about the lens since it is the first 'line of protection'.

Peter

RRRoamer

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I would assume he is talking about the lens since it is the first 'line of protection'.

Peter
The lens is broken. Happened at the 2100 mile mark no less. Which with my sister's commute, meant the 3 week mark...

It looks like that panel I saw with the brief look can be removed fairly easy, then it SHOULDN'T be too hard to get the old housing out and the new housing installed.

I hope. I going to get dressed and give it a try right now, so I should know shortly!

Thanks for the replies and I'll let you now how it went...

Roamer

RRRoamer

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Done. That wasn't quite as bit a pain as I thought. I have big arms and hands, so it was definitely cramped, but it's done and the lights work, so all is well.

Given how fast the first one broke, I almost wonder if she shouldn't get a spare just in case. Maybe she was unlucky, but I have a bad feeling about those fog lights...

R1chard

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
Done. That wasn't quite as bit a pain as I thought. I have big arms and hands, so it was definitely cramped, but it's done and the lights work, so all is well.

Given how fast the first one broke, I almost wonder if she shouldn't get a spare just in case. Maybe she was unlucky, but I have a bad feeling about those fog lights...
Concerned with getting a fog light cracked (they are glass) I went this route, Lamin-X fog light covers. The pastic film adds quite a bit of strength to the glass and protects it from chips etc.

They are about $15, come in multiple colors (albeit I picked clear) and have an easy application.

http://www.lamin-x.com/

RRRoamer

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Concerned with getting a fog light cracked (they are glass) I went this route, Lamin-X fog light covers. The pastic film adds quite a bit of strength to the glass and protects it from chips etc.

They are about $15, come in multiple colors (albeit I picked clear) and have an easy application.

http://www.lamin-x.com/

That's not a bad idea. I think I'll go that route if she brakes another one. I'm still hoping it was just dumb luck...

LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
These do not fit the 2013 Limited, but are nice

These are good and thick, color is great (yellow), but do not fit the 2013 Limited.
They say so on the order page on their site.

The fog lights will encounter the worst of the road so a good fit is key.
Trimming the lens cover would work...

But if just putting it on, its too big, tucking it in works but it doesnt look good up close.
Also its not a tight fit if tucking in & eventually moisture will get behind it.

Their install video, however, shows a tech with a removed light,
applying and finishing by wrapping the lens cover down around the edge of the lens.
So when you put it back in its a tight fit, likely would hold up well against water/snow for a long time.

R1chard

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
These are good and thick, color is great (yellow), but do not fit the 2013 Limited.
They say so on the order page on their site.

The fog lights will encounter the worst of the road so a good fit is key.
Trimming the lens cover would work...

But if just putting it on, its too big, tucking it in works but it doesnt look good up close.
Also its not a tight fit if tucking in & eventually moisture will get behind it.

Their install video, however, shows a tech with a removed light,
applying and finishing by wrapping the lens cover down around the edge of the lens.
So when you put it back in its a tight fit, likely would hold up well against water/snow for a long time.
I received a set from Lamin-x that was indeed too big. They seemed meant to the Ford Escape fog lights or an older Ford Explorer. I called Lamin-X back with the correct measurements and same day I had a new set of covers mailed to me no questions asked.

If my memory recalls me correctly I believe the original set they had listed for my car (2013 Ford Explorer Limited) on the website was about of 5 inches diameter.

The correct measurement is actually 3.5 inches and since this episode they have gone ahead and addenda the website to list specific 2013 Limited spec covers.

Needless to say the 3.5 inch diameter covers (now listed on the website) fit perfectly edge to edge without any trim, etc and are pretty straightforward to install.

(I'm not associated with Lamin-X in any way!)

LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
ho hoo ill be calling them tomorrow...

JETZ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
When I had the 3M front end clear bra installed, the product was also used on the headlights, and fogs.

TxRanger351w

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Exp LTD FWD 3.5 NA
This actually seems to be a common issue.

The left fog light on the wife's car shattered on a road trip to Austin back in March. Some of the broken glass was still sitting in the cup, there no other indication of an impact, and I couldn't recall hitting anything. It just shattered. The lamp still works, but I need to replace the assembly. I've searched around and found lots of threads about adding aftermarket lamps, but haven't found any pictures or an IPB of how to get the assembly out.

Can someone point out where that might be? The lower part of her valence/air dam also keeps popping off on both sides, I think there's a TSB for it, but I don't want to take it in until I get the light fixed. Knowing dealerships, they'll say that it was abuse.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
This actually seems to be a common issue.

The left fog light on the wife's car shattered on a road trip to Austin back in March. Some of the broken glass was still sitting in the cup, there no other indication of an impact, and I couldn't recall hitting anything. It just shattered. The lamp still works, but I need to replace the assembly. I've searched around and found lots of threads about adding aftermarket lamps, but haven't found any pictures or an IPB of how to get the assembly out.

Can someone point out where that might be? The lower part of her valence/air dam also keeps popping off on both sides, I think there's a TSB for it, but I don't want to take it in until I get the light fixed. Knowing dealerships, they'll say that it was abuse.
For the lower valance coming loose, there is a TSB 11-3-26 LOWER VALANCE COMING LOOSE . I doubt that the dealer will quote abuse regarding the fog light. They are by their very location, prone to being hit by stones and other debris from cars ahead of you.

Peter

Harley#356

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
get the lamin-x BEFORE she breaks another fog light, at that point the lamin-x won't do any good but prevent the NEXT one from breaking lol.

Just had mine installed along with my 3M ventureshield clear bra, and lamin-x tinted headlight film

TxRanger351w

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Exp LTD FWD 3.5 NA
For the lower valance coming loose, there is a TSB 11-3-26 LOWER VALANCE COMING LOOSE . I doubt that the dealer will quote abuse regarding the fog light. They are by their very location, prone to being hit by stones and other debris from cars ahead of you.

Peter
Peter,

Thank you for that TSB #. I was actually referring to the valence implying that the dealership would see the broken light and then claim that the valence being loose on that side was from the same incident.

Rudsther2435

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Yuma, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Cracked Fog Light Lens

I noticed my driver side fog light lens is shattered today but still in one piece, it seems as if it shattered internally, there is no rock impact point; my car has 2200miles on it about a month off the lot, anyone know if this is covered under warranty?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I noticed my driver side fog light lens is shattered today but still in one piece, it seems as if it shattered internally, there is no rock impact point; my car has 2200miles on it about a month off the lot, anyone know if this is covered under warranty?
Have you checked the warranty information that was supplied along with your Owner's Manual? It contains a list of what is (pages 8-12) and is not (pages 12-15) covered. Just looking through the online version, I would say that it is not covered. It shoul;d be covered through your auto insurance company, if you want to go that route.

You may also want to check out the following two threads I found;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385876&highlight=fog+light

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309503&highlight=fog+light

Peter

Last edited:

langla4

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
The part is about $60 and only takes 15 minutes or so. Easy repair.

TxRanger351w

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Exp LTD FWD 3.5 NA

This seems to happen quite often. Ours did the same thing. No visible impact, no signs of other damage. It just shattered like the glass overheated and then cooled rapidly.

The part is cheap, I just ordered one from Tascaparts.com

ronninco

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Platinum, 4WD
I had the same problem but on the pasenger side. I ordered two fog lamps from Ebay (topgeardirect) for $37.76. The lamps arrived in just a couple of days and went in easy and quick. By ordering two lamps I now have a spare and that insures the other one will never break. Lamps included H11, 55 watt bulbs, same as OEM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I had the same problem but on the pasenger side. I ordered two fog lamps from Ebay (topgeardirect) for $37.76. The lamps arrived in just a couple of days and went in easy and quick. By ordering two lamps I now have a spare and that insures the other one will never break. Lamps included H11, 55 watt bulbs, same as OEM.
That worked for me. Back in 1970 I had a '64 Cadillac Sedan De Ville that kept cracking the distributor cap. So the next time it happened, I bought a spare. It is sitting on my desk as a pencil holder. :D

Peter

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Cracked leather - 2017 Limit Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
ExPlat Center Bezel cracked Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
D Cracked Sunroof / Moon roof Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
R Windshield Cracked / Replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 65
S Whats the first thing that has cracked, broke or scratched in your EXP? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 47
S cracked glass on passenger mirror Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
C Cracked D Pillar Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 37
B MyFord Touch screen cracked. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 45
H passnger side BLIS mirror cracked HELP!! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
F Cracked windshield before I take delivery??? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
P 2017 Ford Explorer Limited drivers side LED fog light has quit working Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
T Wiring fog lights to always ON? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
O Fog lights stay on...even with key out Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
L 2018 fog lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
L 2015 Fog light replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
L Unable to remove OEM Fog light bulbs Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
T Fog light replacement w/ pictures Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
S Explorer Imported Into Germany Needs Rear Fog lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
K Fog light "on" settings. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 30
K 2017 Explorer Fog Lights Fuse Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
I 2016 - 2017 Fog Light Help Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
L 2016 Limited fog light question. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
S Fog Lights won't come on...? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
F LED Fog Lamps standard on platinum? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
S 2015 Explorer Sport fog light wiring plug, cant find location Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
A Fog Light Lense Replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
B 2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 171
R Air Induction Service/Fog Engine Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
3 fog lamp Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M 15 Sport Drivers Side Windows fog Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
O Replacing 2013 Explorer Fog Light Lens Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
L Fog light/side mirror signal fuse Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
A 2013 Fog Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
K Do HID equipped Limited's have HID Fog Lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
M Installing Fog Lights to Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
M Fog lights install on a Base Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
H Any way to adjust aim of fog lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
C Put in my led fog lights and they looks awesome Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
C fog light upgrade Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
C How do i get to the fog lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
L Fog Light Question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 22
N How hard is it to remove and reinstall a new fog light on my EXPLORER 2012? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M Replacing a broken fog light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
C fog lamps Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
J Anyone using H9 bulbs in the fog lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
J Fog light bulbs? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
D 13 Ford Explorer Light Module Location Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
S 2012 Explorer Abs light, Hill descent, , Terrain management, check brake system Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
F 2015 Explorer Limited Air Bag Light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
D 4wd service required light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2