• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Cracked Fog Light

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Glass fog lights? Really?

Man, I'd love to meet the genius that decided glass fog lights housings were a great idea...I've had one cracked for a couple months and have drug my feet in getting a new one. Now on my road trip, my other one caught a rock and shattered.

Why couldn't they have made these out of plastic like headlights or any other car with fog lights I've ever owned?

Now $130 later, looks like ill have to go find some fog light protection film before I put them on.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Man, I'd love to meet the genius that decided glass fog lights housings were a great idea...I've had one cracked for a couple months and have drug my feet in getting a new one. Now on my road trip, my other one caught a rock and shattered.

Why couldn't they have made these out of plastic like headlights or any other car with fog lights I've ever owned?

Now $130 later, looks like ill have to go find some fog light protection film before I put them on.
I have moved your post to this thread. Check above posts for a possible solution.

Peter

Harley#356

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport

I'll take glass fogs any day of the week over plastic ones that will dull and haze over time, and chip much easier than glass ones. A big rock will eventually break the glass ones, but they'll hold up better to small chips than plastic ones.

Lamin-x film over the glass, and you should have no issues

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I've had several cars with plastic fog lights and never had them haze over. If you clean your housings every so often and buff them with UV protectant they'll never haze over.

I suppose if you don't take the time to take care of your exterior, then I can see why you'd have problems eventually.

TxRanger351w

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Exp LTD FWD 3.5 NA
Changed it out yesterday. You only need two socket sizes (can't remember off the top of my head). Don't bother removing the inner fender lining, just take the three bolts out of the bottom and peel it back. You can use a bungee cord to secure it out of the way. It's snug to slide under if you don't have a lift or jack, but can be done.

I'd say 15 minutes to do the switch.

lpollema

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
Fog Light Replacement

Does anyone know any easy way to replace the fog light assembly on a 2011 Explorer? To me, it looks as if either the bumper needs to be removed and/or the wheel well liner needs to be removed. Or, do I just need to take it to Ford?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Does anyone know any easy way to replace the fog light assembly on a 2011 Explorer? To me, it looks as if either the bumper needs to be removed and/or the wheel well liner needs to be removed. Or, do I just need to take it to Ford?
I'll assume you are replacing it because it is broken. Check post #3 in this thread to which I have added your thread.

Peter

Last edited:

lpollema

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
Peter:

Thank you. I will give that a shot. Thank you for the info about the search and moving my post over hear...great info.

Lowell

Reckless Riley

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limit.
I've quickly read through the thread... I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and the left fog lamp took a rock I guess and cracked the glass. I'm able to easily find a replacement that is glass or plastic. I decided to go with the glass this time and hope it doesn't happen often.... I've seen online where labor and lamp at a dealer whould cost approx. $200 give or take. I bought the lamp for $64 and now I'd love to know exactly the installation procedure... I know the back cover has to be removed and 4 screws hold the lamp in place...just wish someone who has done it can help with a good procedure... Do you take the tire off? what else?

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Look up underneath your Explorer, in front of the left front tire. You'll see the undertray. There's 4 screws there holding that portion of the undertray on. Take them off.

Take the first wheel wheel splashguard screw out. Fold the splash guard out of your way.

You will see the 4 screws holding the fog light housing on. Take them off.

Unplug the wire harness from the bulb.

Pull straight out.

Installation same as reverse. It's that easy.

I had to replace both of mine. Glad the engineers decided glass fog lights mounted that low were a good idea.

maliboo74

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I'm getting my drivers fog light replaced at the dealer for $170. Lens was smashed, probably from a rock on the road.

broken strut

Reaction score
City, State
CHIMOMAN VILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 White Sport
Mine was cracked. The dealer replaced it. No questions asked. I guess it depends on the service dept.

tmg19103

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT AWD
Yeah, these things happen. My Saab has glass fogs real low. Had one cracked on the highway and replaced once. Don't consider that bad for seven years of driving the car. Bummer when it happens to such a new car for you. Hopefully won't happen again. I don't think it is real common, but it does happen.

AZmom

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
My former Honda Odyssey (2011) always had cracked fog lights, my insurance covered it under my glass coverage. ;). Check to see if the dealer doesn't cover it, possibly your insurance company will?

KnobCreek

Reaction score
City, State
Bon Aqua, Tenn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT 4WD
An Expel headlight/fog light protection kit will prevent broken lights. Easy to apply and you can barely tell they are there without close inspection. They also prevent the hazing and darkening that comes with age. I got mine from autosportcatalog.com. Check them out. I'm sure they are available from other places as well.

tinner

Reaction score
City, State
KC MO. area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
An Expel headlight/fog light protection kit will prevent broken lights. Easy to apply and you can barely tell they are there without close inspection. They also prevent the hazing and darkening that comes with age. I got mine from autosportcatalog.com. Check them out. I'm sure they are available from other places as well.
+1, They do work been using them for years on other vehicles.

PMAX6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I can't imagine even asking for a broken fog light to be covered under warranty. Seems more of an insurance claim. Warranty doesn't cover rocks from the road hitting a lens and cracking it. If Ford were to pay for these kind of claims they'd be foolish.

Reckless Riley

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limit.
Fix it yourself

So I was outside and peered down the front of my car this morning and noticed the driver's side fog lamp is shattered. There is no other apparent damage to the front, or the surround of the lamp, just the glass.

I never looked at this coming off the lot, I have to assume it wasn't that way, that it happened on the freeway, but I don't see any specific places where a rock or anything hit the lamp.

So sad, I don't think this is something the dealer will replace under warranty, do you guys? What's the cost on a replacement fog lamp enclosure?
Ford will most likely want about $200 for the part and labor.. You can do it yourself for under $60. I ordered the part online and in about 45 minutes... (I'm slow) it was fixed. Turn the wheel all the way to the right.. It's been some time since I fixed it but I remember I was thankful for long arms... Be careful not to loose the screws.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

AZwoodman

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX XLT Impact blue
Has anyone come up with a rock shield yet? I had the same problem on my 2002 Eddie Bauer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Cracked leather - 2017 Limit Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
ExPlat Center Bezel cracked Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
D Cracked Sunroof / Moon roof Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
R Windshield Cracked / Replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 65
S Whats the first thing that has cracked, broke or scratched in your EXP? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 47
S cracked glass on passenger mirror Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
C Cracked D Pillar Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 37
B MyFord Touch screen cracked. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 45
H passnger side BLIS mirror cracked HELP!! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
F Cracked windshield before I take delivery??? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
P 2017 Ford Explorer Limited drivers side LED fog light has quit working Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
T Wiring fog lights to always ON? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
O Fog lights stay on...even with key out Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
L 2018 fog lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
L 2015 Fog light replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
L Unable to remove OEM Fog light bulbs Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
T Fog light replacement w/ pictures Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
S Explorer Imported Into Germany Needs Rear Fog lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
K Fog light "on" settings. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 30
K 2017 Explorer Fog Lights Fuse Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
I 2016 - 2017 Fog Light Help Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
L 2016 Limited fog light question. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
S Fog Lights won't come on...? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
F LED Fog Lamps standard on platinum? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
S 2015 Explorer Sport fog light wiring plug, cant find location Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
A Fog Light Lense Replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
B 2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 171
R Air Induction Service/Fog Engine Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
3 fog lamp Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M 15 Sport Drivers Side Windows fog Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
O Replacing 2013 Explorer Fog Light Lens Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
L Fog light/side mirror signal fuse Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
A 2013 Fog Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
K Do HID equipped Limited's have HID Fog Lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
M Installing Fog Lights to Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
M Fog lights install on a Base Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
H Any way to adjust aim of fog lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
C Put in my led fog lights and they looks awesome Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
C fog light upgrade Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
C How do i get to the fog lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
L Fog Light Question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 22
N How hard is it to remove and reinstall a new fog light on my EXPLORER 2012? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M Replacing a broken fog light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
C fog lamps Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
J Anyone using H9 bulbs in the fog lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
J Fog light bulbs? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
D 13 Ford Explorer Light Module Location Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
S 2012 Explorer Abs light, Hill descent, , Terrain management, check brake system Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
F 2015 Explorer Limited Air Bag Light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
D 4wd service required light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2