Cracked Fog Light | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Fog Light

When you say the Fog light is broken, do you mean the bulb itself? To access the fog lamp bulbs I had to remove 3 or 4 screws below the fog light under the front corner valance. Then the plastic can be peeled back to give you access to the back of the fog.

I did not have to go in through the wheel area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say the Fog light is broken, do you mean the bulb itself? To access the fog lamp bulbs I had to remove 3 or 4 screws below the fog light under the front corner valance. Then the plastic can be peeled back to give you access to the back of the fog.

I did not have to go in through the wheel area.
I would assume he is talking about the lens since it is the first 'line of protection'.

Peter

I would assume he is talking about the lens since it is the first 'line of protection'.

Peter

The lens is broken. Happened at the 2100 mile mark no less. Which with my sister's commute, meant the 3 week mark...

It looks like that panel I saw with the brief look can be removed fairly easy, then it SHOULDN'T be too hard to get the old housing out and the new housing installed.

I hope. I going to get dressed and give it a try right now, so I should know shortly!

Thanks for the replies and I'll let you now how it went...

Roamer

Done. That wasn't quite as bit a pain as I thought. I have big arms and hands, so it was definitely cramped, but it's done and the lights work, so all is well.

Given how fast the first one broke, I almost wonder if she shouldn't get a spare just in case. Maybe she was unlucky, but I have a bad feeling about those fog lights...

Done. That wasn't quite as bit a pain as I thought. I have big arms and hands, so it was definitely cramped, but it's done and the lights work, so all is well.

Given how fast the first one broke, I almost wonder if she shouldn't get a spare just in case. Maybe she was unlucky, but I have a bad feeling about those fog lights...

Concerned with getting a fog light cracked (they are glass) I went this route, Lamin-X fog light covers. The pastic film adds quite a bit of strength to the glass and protects it from chips etc.

They are about $15, come in multiple colors (albeit I picked clear) and have an easy application.

http://www.lamin-x.com/

fog_light_1.jpg

Concerned with getting a fog light cracked (they are glass) I went this route, Lamin-X fog light covers. The pastic film adds quite a bit of strength to the glass and protects it from chips etc.

They are about $15, come in multiple colors (albeit I picked clear) and have an easy application.

http://www.lamin-x.com/

fog_light_1.jpg

That's not a bad idea. I think I'll go that route if she brakes another one. I'm still hoping it was just dumb luck...

These do not fit the 2013 Limited, but are nice

These are good and thick, color is great (yellow), but do not fit the 2013 Limited.
They say so on the order page on their site.

The fog lights will encounter the worst of the road so a good fit is key.
Trimming the lens cover would work...

But if just putting it on, its too big, tucking it in works but it doesnt look good up close.
Also its not a tight fit if tucking in & eventually moisture will get behind it.

Their install video, however, shows a tech with a removed light,
applying and finishing by wrapping the lens cover down around the edge of the lens.
So when you put it back in its a tight fit, likely would hold up well against water/snow for a long time.

These are good and thick, color is great (yellow), but do not fit the 2013 Limited.
They say so on the order page on their site.

The fog lights will encounter the worst of the road so a good fit is key.
Trimming the lens cover would work...

But if just putting it on, its too big, tucking it in works but it doesnt look good up close.
Also its not a tight fit if tucking in & eventually moisture will get behind it.

Their install video, however, shows a tech with a removed light,
applying and finishing by wrapping the lens cover down around the edge of the lens.
So when you put it back in its a tight fit, likely would hold up well against water/snow for a long time.

I received a set from Lamin-x that was indeed too big. They seemed meant to the Ford Escape fog lights or an older Ford Explorer. I called Lamin-X back with the correct measurements and same day I had a new set of covers mailed to me no questions asked.

If my memory recalls me correctly I believe the original set they had listed for my car (2013 Ford Explorer Limited) on the website was about of 5 inches diameter.

The correct measurement is actually 3.5 inches and since this episode they have gone ahead and addenda the website to list specific 2013 Limited spec covers.

Needless to say the 3.5 inch diameter covers (now listed on the website) fit perfectly edge to edge without any trim, etc and are pretty straightforward to install.

(I'm not associated with Lamin-X in any way!)

ho hoo ill be calling them tomorrow...

When I had the 3M front end clear bra installed, the product was also used on the headlights, and fogs.

This actually seems to be a common issue.

The left fog light on the wife's car shattered on a road trip to Austin back in March. Some of the broken glass was still sitting in the cup, there no other indication of an impact, and I couldn't recall hitting anything. It just shattered. The lamp still works, but I need to replace the assembly. I've searched around and found lots of threads about adding aftermarket lamps, but haven't found any pictures or an IPB of how to get the assembly out.

Can someone point out where that might be? The lower part of her valence/air dam also keeps popping off on both sides, I think there's a TSB for it, but I don't want to take it in until I get the light fixed. Knowing dealerships, they'll say that it was abuse.

This actually seems to be a common issue.

The left fog light on the wife's car shattered on a road trip to Austin back in March. Some of the broken glass was still sitting in the cup, there no other indication of an impact, and I couldn't recall hitting anything. It just shattered. The lamp still works, but I need to replace the assembly. I've searched around and found lots of threads about adding aftermarket lamps, but haven't found any pictures or an IPB of how to get the assembly out.

Can someone point out where that might be? The lower part of her valence/air dam also keeps popping off on both sides, I think there's a TSB for it, but I don't want to take it in until I get the light fixed. Knowing dealerships, they'll say that it was abuse.
For the lower valance coming loose, there is a TSB 11-3-26 LOWER VALANCE COMING LOOSE . I doubt that the dealer will quote abuse regarding the fog light. They are by their very location, prone to being hit by stones and other debris from cars ahead of you.

Peter

get the lamin-x BEFORE she breaks another fog light, at that point the lamin-x won't do any good but prevent the NEXT one from breaking lol.

Just had mine installed along with my 3M ventureshield clear bra, and lamin-x tinted headlight film

For the lower valance coming loose, there is a TSB 11-3-26 LOWER VALANCE COMING LOOSE . I doubt that the dealer will quote abuse regarding the fog light. They are by their very location, prone to being hit by stones and other debris from cars ahead of you.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for that TSB #. I was actually referring to the valence implying that the dealership would see the broken light and then claim that the valence being loose on that side was from the same incident.

Cracked Fog Light Lens

I noticed my driver side fog light lens is shattered today but still in one piece, it seems as if it shattered internally, there is no rock impact point; my car has 2200miles on it about a month off the lot, anyone know if this is covered under warranty?

I noticed my driver side fog light lens is shattered today but still in one piece, it seems as if it shattered internally, there is no rock impact point; my car has 2200miles on it about a month off the lot, anyone know if this is covered under warranty?
Have you checked the warranty information that was supplied along with your Owner's Manual? It contains a list of what is (pages 8-12) and is not (pages 12-15) covered. Just looking through the online version, I would say that it is not covered. It shoul;d be covered through your auto insurance company, if you want to go that route.

You may also want to check out the following two threads I found;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385876&highlight=fog+light

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309503&highlight=fog+light

Peter

The part is about $60 and only takes 15 minutes or so. Easy repair.

This seems to happen quite often. Ours did the same thing. No visible impact, no signs of other damage. It just shattered like the glass overheated and then cooled rapidly.

The part is cheap, I just ordered one from Tascaparts.com

I had the same problem but on the pasenger side. I ordered two fog lamps from Ebay (topgeardirect) for $37.76. The lamps arrived in just a couple of days and went in easy and quick. By ordering two lamps I now have a spare and that insures the other one will never break. Lamps included H11, 55 watt bulbs, same as OEM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem but on the pasenger side. I ordered two fog lamps from Ebay (topgeardirect) for $37.76. The lamps arrived in just a couple of days and went in easy and quick. By ordering two lamps I now have a spare and that insures the other one will never break. Lamps included H11, 55 watt bulbs, same as OEM.
That worked for me. Back in 1970 I had a '64 Cadillac Sedan De Ville that kept cracking the distributor cap. So the next time it happened, I bought a spare. It is sitting on my desk as a pencil holder. :D

Peter

Back