Cracked Fog Light | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Fog Light

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glass fog lights? Really?

Man, I'd love to meet the genius that decided glass fog lights housings were a great idea...I've had one cracked for a couple months and have drug my feet in getting a new one. Now on my road trip, my other one caught a rock and shattered.

Why couldn't they have made these out of plastic like headlights or any other car with fog lights I've ever owned?

Now $130 later, looks like ill have to go find some fog light protection film before I put them on.

Man, I'd love to meet the genius that decided glass fog lights housings were a great idea...I've had one cracked for a couple months and have drug my feet in getting a new one. Now on my road trip, my other one caught a rock and shattered.

Why couldn't they have made these out of plastic like headlights or any other car with fog lights I've ever owned?

Now $130 later, looks like ill have to go find some fog light protection film before I put them on.
I have moved your post to this thread. Check above posts for a possible solution.

Peter

I'll take glass fogs any day of the week over plastic ones that will dull and haze over time, and chip much easier than glass ones. A big rock will eventually break the glass ones, but they'll hold up better to small chips than plastic ones.

Lamin-x film over the glass, and you should have no issues

I've had several cars with plastic fog lights and never had them haze over. If you clean your housings every so often and buff them with UV protectant they'll never haze over.

I suppose if you don't take the time to take care of your exterior, then I can see why you'd have problems eventually.

Changed it out yesterday. You only need two socket sizes (can't remember off the top of my head). Don't bother removing the inner fender lining, just take the three bolts out of the bottom and peel it back. You can use a bungee cord to secure it out of the way. It's snug to slide under if you don't have a lift or jack, but can be done.

I'd say 15 minutes to do the switch.

Fog Light Replacement

Does anyone know any easy way to replace the fog light assembly on a 2011 Explorer? To me, it looks as if either the bumper needs to be removed and/or the wheel well liner needs to be removed. Or, do I just need to take it to Ford?

Does anyone know any easy way to replace the fog light assembly on a 2011 Explorer? To me, it looks as if either the bumper needs to be removed and/or the wheel well liner needs to be removed. Or, do I just need to take it to Ford?
I'll assume you are replacing it because it is broken. Check post #3 in this thread to which I have added your thread.

Peter

Peter:

Thank you. I will give that a shot. Thank you for the info about the search and moving my post over hear...great info.

Lowell

I've quickly read through the thread... I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and the left fog lamp took a rock I guess and cracked the glass. I'm able to easily find a replacement that is glass or plastic. I decided to go with the glass this time and hope it doesn't happen often.... I've seen online where labor and lamp at a dealer whould cost approx. $200 give or take. I bought the lamp for $64 and now I'd love to know exactly the installation procedure... I know the back cover has to be removed and 4 screws hold the lamp in place...just wish someone who has done it can help with a good procedure... Do you take the tire off? what else?

Look up underneath your Explorer, in front of the left front tire. You'll see the undertray. There's 4 screws there holding that portion of the undertray on. Take them off.

Take the first wheel wheel splashguard screw out. Fold the splash guard out of your way.

You will see the 4 screws holding the fog light housing on. Take them off.

Unplug the wire harness from the bulb.

Pull straight out.

Installation same as reverse. It's that easy.

I had to replace both of mine. Glad the engineers decided glass fog lights mounted that low were a good idea.

I'm getting my drivers fog light replaced at the dealer for $170. Lens was smashed, probably from a rock on the road.

Mine was cracked. The dealer replaced it. No questions asked. I guess it depends on the service dept.

Yeah, these things happen. My Saab has glass fogs real low. Had one cracked on the highway and replaced once. Don't consider that bad for seven years of driving the car. Bummer when it happens to such a new car for you. Hopefully won't happen again. I don't think it is real common, but it does happen.

My former Honda Odyssey (2011) always had cracked fog lights, my insurance covered it under my glass coverage. ;). Check to see if the dealer doesn't cover it, possibly your insurance company will?

An Expel headlight/fog light protection kit will prevent broken lights. Easy to apply and you can barely tell they are there without close inspection. They also prevent the hazing and darkening that comes with age. I got mine from autosportcatalog.com. Check them out. I'm sure they are available from other places as well.

An Expel headlight/fog light protection kit will prevent broken lights. Easy to apply and you can barely tell they are there without close inspection. They also prevent the hazing and darkening that comes with age. I got mine from autosportcatalog.com. Check them out. I'm sure they are available from other places as well.

+1, They do work been using them for years on other vehicles.

I can't imagine even asking for a broken fog light to be covered under warranty. Seems more of an insurance claim. Warranty doesn't cover rocks from the road hitting a lens and cracking it. If Ford were to pay for these kind of claims they'd be foolish.

Fix it yourself

So I was outside and peered down the front of my car this morning and noticed the driver's side fog lamp is shattered. There is no other apparent damage to the front, or the surround of the lamp, just the glass.

I never looked at this coming off the lot, I have to assume it wasn't that way, that it happened on the freeway, but I don't see any specific places where a rock or anything hit the lamp.

So sad, I don't think this is something the dealer will replace under warranty, do you guys? What's the cost on a replacement fog lamp enclosure?

Ford will most likely want about $200 for the part and labor.. You can do it yourself for under $60. I ordered the part online and in about 45 minutes... (I'm slow) it was fixed. Turn the wheel all the way to the right.. It's been some time since I fixed it but I remember I was thankful for long arms... Be careful not to loose the screws.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone come up with a rock shield yet? I had the same problem on my 2002 Eddie Bauer.

Back