Cracked head gasket @ 24K!

Maranda

Explorer Babe
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Aviator 93Sport 99 PSD
So my '01 Expedition has has dribbling since I bought it at 24K. We thought it was Ryan's truck for a long time, nooo it's my brand new truck! I called the dealer we bought it from to bring it in for a look and he asked if it was a greasy/watery leak, I said maybe, he said it was the A/C and "they do that". This was a few months ago when I wasn't even using the A/C.

I finally got tired of my truck marking its territory everywhere. It now has 30K. I brought it to the local dealer. Head gasket leak!:eek: 2 days in the shop, maybe even a new motor. The greasy/watery leak is actually water and oil.:rolleyes:

I researched this truck a lot before buying, but did not look up specifically "head gasket problems". Turns out there is a TSB for these things. Lots of consumer complaints.

Dangit, why do Fords have to be so......... Ford-y?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maranda:

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. At least you don't have to pay for it. And a new motor would not be that bad, would it? ;)

Cracked head gasket on a V-8? Damn, something has gone wrong. The only Ford motor I know of with bad gaskets was the ol' 3.8 Essex motor, and it has never seen truck use.

If you ever think the head gasket is going (gone) get a block tester.....chemically tests for combustion gasses in coolant.......they are cheap...easy to use....and the results are hard to agrue.

Plan B
Put a couple of drops of oil from the dipstick on the hot exhaust manifold..... if it fizzes (then you got coolant in oil) it should smoke off clean. Much lower tech...but it AN indicator.

Tell Ford you are so pissed you want a 100k powertrain warranty to boot...... I got one when my SOHC blew. It costs them close to nothing. And you deserve it because - Quality is JOB 1!

PS I hope you are covered or at least calling in a rep

It's the 4.6. After reading up, it seems more common with this one. I didn't get a new motor, but at least it was done when they said it would be. It looks like they replaced more than one gasket, too.

I noticed it was a little smelly when I would walk to the front of it, since I am about level with the grill. :) No doubt I will use the dipstick test if I'm ever in doubt again.

At least, after my bad Nissan/Ford experience with my minivan, I was smart enough to buy the 100K warranty. If this happens again after 35K, it will pay for itself in one visit!

I'm beginning to agree with you Stephen. Quality is definitely not "Job #1" with Ford any more. With all the little crap that has been wrong with my X, along with the poor quality (read "ultra thin") paint on it, I'm beginning to think about selling it and buying a 4Runner.

just wait, you'll start replacing coilpacks on it pretty soon. my mom has a 00 with the 4.6 and we've done 5 so far. :rolleyes:

OK, so is there problem present in the 4.6 that they now put in the Explorers?

I've had coil pack problems on my 97 SOHC - on #3

are we still on blown headgaskets?

forgot one:
that sweat smell of antifreeze or white puffy smoke coming from the exhaust at startup.

I'm dumping Ford too, as I start turninig over the fleet.
How can you make cars for so many years and still sell crap......don't answer that !!!! haha I know.......cheap out and don't care.

Guys, go buy another brand and you will have the same problems. Ford isn't to blame on all of their parts failing. Many times they don't even make the parts themselves. It's called out-sourcing, and yes the all perfect Toyota does it as well. Had a friend's Avalon's idle tensioner fail and had to be replaced to the tune of over $300. Apparently the belt flew off and shredded the fan *shrugs*

The point is, is that all cars are built more cheaply than they were in the past simply because they are skimping on parts quality while increasing on price. It's all about money...

I thought "it's all about soul"
Billy Joel must have lied

:D :D

consumers do not have a pray.........its a new age of robber barons!!!!

Originally posted by Majisto
Guys, go buy another brand and you will have the same problems. Ford isn't to blame on all of their parts failing. Many times they don't even make the parts themselves. It's called out-sourcing, ....
I agree with you that other brands have the same kind of problems. Outsourcing is IMHO less to blame than the - again IMHO - false pride car manufacturer take in cutting significantly down development time of new models. This was partially achieved by replacing the early real world test by computer simulation, which is good, but ... They also moved some endurance and detail testing from the test tracks to the clients of the first model year. When mfgs took pride in just releasing models which were perfect, the release today models which just are good and use th first model year for perfectionating them. Sad but true :(

SOOO....

What's it been, 3 weeks? It's going back in while I have surgery Thursday and won't be driving. Leaking again, seems to be in a different place. :mad:

I know, but I always take such a damn loss with upside-downess and I vowed I would not do that this time since it was "near new", and with the big warranty I never had to worry about problems, right?

I am a female though and can change my mind tomorrow. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At least we don't ever have to pay for any of the problems with it up to 100k miles. :D That warrenty was well worth its weight in gold. Anyone who thinks its cheaper or easier to fix a car is a fool. Specially when you can warrenty it. :)

Back