• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Headlight

oconnells

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 XLT
So I took my week and half old X, to the dealer last night to have the undercoating, paint sealant, etc (yeah I'm a sucker) done. When I picked it up this evening and got it home I noticed the passenger side headlight had cracked. Actually it looks shattered, even though it didn't fall apart. I immediately took it back to the dealer who informed me that this was happening allot on the new Explorers, and other Ford vehicles. I was told to go to the service department, and have them order a new one. When I got the service area, my service tech flipped out, and told me that I was given bad information. I was directed 5to speak to the service area manager who of course had already left for the day. Has anyone else had problems with their headlights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't heard anything about a "known" issue. Maybe they hit it with something. Also, if you cover the headlight with a fender pad (or something similar), while it is illuminated, it can build up heat and ruin the plastic lens. I don't know if it would shatter.

Just as update I took to the truck back in on Saturday morning, and spoke to the service manager. Even though he did not admit to a known issue, he did say that there was nothing he could do until Monday. He claims to have to take a digital photo of the light, and send it to Ford. This is really starting to annoy me; I now have to take time off work this afternoon to have this done. I will then have to bring the truck back a 4th time to have the actual work done once the light has arrived. When I asked the service tech if this was going to keep happening his response was "that's why you have a 3 year / 36K mile warranty".

That sucks. I don't see how the light would shatter unless they hit it with something

Well the light has been replaced. Guess time will tell, as to whether or not this is going to be an ongoing problem. Don't get me wrong, we love the Explorer, and would probubly have still bought it even if this was a known issue. It's just the way this dealer delt with it thats leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

as you may already have thought... take it somewhere else! i've had great luck where i thought i was going into a nightmare. i don't like their answers either.

Which stealership did you take it to?
<---I'm a local too.

We bought it at Cavalier Ford in Chesapeake. This was the first time we've purchased a car from them. Normally we go to Freedom Ford in Norfolk. It's just that Cavalier is close to use, and had what we were looking for on their lot.

They are known to give people the run around (or so I've heard.) Freedom is a pretty good dealership, then again I work at the Lincoln-Merc store. Funny thing is, out of all the Mountineers I've dealt with I've never seen the problem that yours had.

Yeah we looked at the Mountaineers on your lot, that’s what the wife really wanted. We just couldn't find one that she liked; guess you guys had a good sales day or two, because there weren't many left. Hopefully if the Mountaineers don't have this problem, then this was simply a fluke. Guess time will tell.

In all honesty, I'm not surprised you didn't find what you were looking for our inventory sucks (or lack there of.)

Unfortunately that + the fact that Freedom Ford doesn't seem to believe in keeping cars on their lot that have leather seats (short of a limited), where why I ended up going to Cavalier.

Back