• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Heads

rwest!

Reaction score
City, State
Central, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I was told the heads were cracked in my engine - does that necesarily mean my whole engine is shot?

I recently (3 days ago) leaked and leaked antifreeze and then the truck would start to overheat (but still run).....I'm just trying to see what my options are.

I just bought my '92 Eddie Bauer two months ago and I do want to keep it for another year and then trade it in for a new truck. I'm just wondering what all is involved in fixing/replacing cracked head/engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just the heads

You can just get a set of heads from the junk yard if they are cracked, or a machine shop can set you up with some replacement heads. Check that its not just the head gasket, and ask to see the cracks in the old heads if they replace the heads.

So short answer is no the whole engine isnt shot if the heads need work, assuming the damage is just in the heads.

I would go with the reconditioned heads. Chances are the ones you get from the bone yard will also be cracked. Don't expect to get your core deposit back from your old heads though. They don't give you anything for cracked heads.

Ditto on the reconditioned. Even if you get a set that isn't cracked from a yard, you still should have them checked for flatness and the condition of the valve seats/guides, etc. Since you would have to send them through a machine shop anyways, just go with a reconditoned set.

Have the whole engine checked for damage I say..

If the heads cracked, or warped, you should check the block to be sure it's still flat where the heads go on.

Reply to Aldive....

Well, where should I start?.....Last weekend I took my truck to the mechanic so he do the oil/all fluid change, make sure everything was working ok so I could pass inspection....one of the first things he asked me was if I had noticed any coolant leaks because my radiator was dry, (I bought this X two months ago from a guy who claimed he was a mechanic and he said the truck was in good condition-I wouldn't need to replace anything)......I hadn't noticed any leaks from anywhere at all.

Well after I picked up the truck on Sat nite, it drove fine all day Sunday, went to work Monday and when I parked and shut off the truck, coolant gushed out (not leaked out)....I called my mechanic when I got in the office and he told me to bring the truck back to him after work - well, after work came, I made a attempt to leave and as soon as I got on the highway, it startled rattling (as I accerelated) and it slowly died, lost power, everything, pulled over to the shoulder, managed to get picked up by a very nice older man who took me back to work, I called my mechanic and told him to send his tow guy to come get and the truck, did that.....touched base with them on Wednesday, they said the truck started right up, it's running, nothing is leaking, they want to keep it to just to wait and see what happens when it gets warmed up, found out today that after it got hot, it immediately overheated and my heads are cracked.....:banghead:

how muchwas the truck ?

Did your mechanic say wich head it was or that it was both ? I just had to replace one of my heads , and I hate to be the one to tell you the bad news but it's going to be expensive . I did my own work and got my parts at cost and it still cost me over $600 . I agree , ask to see the crack . If the crack isn't between the vavles then some machine shops can fix it . That might be an option if you don't plan to keep it . Good luck !

Back