cracked oil pan! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cracked oil pan!

coolchris

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
hey guys... so i went offroading yesterday and got a little too much air i guess. i notice right away that i broke the clamp on the cv boot and all the greese in there is leaking all over the place. so i take the explorer in to get the boot fixed along with an oil change. then the guy notices that my oil is leaking too... and we find a nice little crack in the oil pan... GREEAAAT. so the guy is estimating near 1000 bucks to have this fixed at another shop (they dont do that kind of stuff). so how can i get this cracked oil pan fixed? does 1000 sound right to replace it? would it be easier to have it welded or something? what do i do??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just a little question.... why do you beat on you X that relitivly has stock suspension? do you think this is not going to happen? you could weld the pan... but it will probley just crack again.... go to a junk yard and rip one off another 5.0.... take yours off and bring it to compare...

its just a hairline crack about 2 inches long, but its big enough to let out a slow drip. if i want to weld it wouldnt i still have to take the engine out? if im going to go pay 800 for that i might as well make sure the leak dosent come back and just get a new pan... but is there any way to do it without having to take out the engine?

i definatly dont think you need to pull the motor to take off the oil pan....

Bad news Chris.

My Chilton manual says, "The oil pan cannot be removed with the engine in the vehicle."

That is specifically for the 5.0s too.

damn chris was this in sand? check out the whoops forum for my mishap with sand, lol! i only flooded the interior and my engine and exhaust. lol

lol, guess your screwed...... no more jumping.... i dunno i know i can drop my pan with out moving the motor.

Um yea, if it needs to be replaced, the motor needs to be lifted up... It's not cheap to do at a shop...

Would it maybe be easier to drop the front suspension? I know taking out the engine is a lot of work. Well, I guess either way would be a lot of work. :confused:

well... i guess life goes on, even without having any money at all for awhille.

You should try some jb weld or something similar first:D

Originally posted by 88vert
You should try some jb weld or something similar first:D [/QUOTE

but can i do that without taking out the engine?

Can you get to the crack easy? JB weld is a cold form of welding its alot like epoxy:D

If you can see it, you can do it! You might be able to just weld it up also. I think the best thing to do would be to drill out the ends of the cracks to prevent it from cracking more.. and just weld it back up. But the problem would be the metal shavings from drilling it out.

I think you'd be best off haivng someone weld it before you spend the g on a new one. If it works it works. It'd be worth the $40 weld job to find out.

Originally posted by section525
If you can see it, you can do it! You might be able to just weld it up also. I think the best thing to do would be to drill out the ends of the cracks to prevent it from cracking more.. and just weld it back up. But the problem would be the metal shavings from drilling it out.

I think you'd be best off haivng someone weld it before you spend the g on a new one. If it works it works. It'd be worth the $40 weld job to find out.

ok this is waht i want to hear... i can see the crack but its kinda hard to get to... its hidden behind some stuff, but i totally agree with you about at least trying it before i go and drop a g. ill lookinto this thanks

Might be able to braze it.But you would have to do it slow becase you dont want to much heat in one area:(

Its another form of welding that does not use as much heat as mig or stick welding

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back