Cracking Cooling Fans | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Cracking Cooling Fans

nmos

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
About a 1.5 years ago the radiator fan on my 92 disintegrated, taking a chunk of my radiator with it. OK, so on a truck with 200k that sort of thing happens. Fast forward to this morning and while I'm changing my oil I look up and notice that the fan is cracking again.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm not seeing any obvious vibration or wobble but maybe it doesn't take much?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I have yet to see a 1st gen X that doesn't have the crack between the blades.

When we put in the new motor 30k miles ago we put in a new fan, and its cracked between the blades already. The fan that was in there before was also cracked and was that way for well over 150k miles (closer to 200k).

~Mark

MrQ

Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
I think it's just age and time. Mine has cracked as well. Another reason to get an electric fan.