Cragar wheels with 265/75/16..what size rims? Rubbing issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cragar wheels with 265/75/16..what size rims? Rubbing issues?

buubba429x

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I need to get new tires and I plan on getting some all-terrains in 265/75/16 size with no lift on my 2003 Explorer. I also plan on mounting them on black 16x7 (4" backspacing, 0 offset ) or 16x8 (5" backspacing, +12mm offset) Cragar Soft 8 rims. After having a lifted Jeep and seeing the issues it can cause long term on other parts of the truck, I will not be lifting the Explorer at any point. I like the squat, wide look anyways and I won't be doing much offroading. With that said, which size rim should I go with? I do want a wider stance, however, I don't want the combination of wide wheels and fatter tires to cause rubbing on the fender. I don't mind some minor trimming of the fender's inside plastic, but I dont want to start hacking any visible parts of the fenders. I searched, but could not come up with any definitive answers. Any advice, experiences, and/or pictures of this setup are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to get new tires and I plan on getting some all-terrains in 265/75/16 size with no lift on my 2003 Explorer. I also plan on mounting them on black 16x7 (4" backspacing, 0 offset ) or 16x8 (5" backspacing, +12mm offset) Cragar Soft 8 rims. After having a lifted Jeep and seeing the issues it can cause long term on other parts of the truck, I will not be lifting the Explorer at any point. I like the squat, wide look anyways and I won't be doing much offroading. With that said, which size rim should I go with? I do want a wider stance, however, I don't want the combination of wide wheels and fatter tires to cause rubbing on the fender. I don't mind some minor trimming of the fender's inside plastic, but I dont want to start hacking any visible parts of the fenders. I searched, but could not come up with any definitive answers. Any advice, experiences, and/or pictures of this setup are greatly appreciated.
i would reccomend either a 1.5 body lift or maybe go with a 255 especially if you dont have the tow package tto help reduce strain on trans with the lower gears
they will fit but everyone rubs in minor places which vary truck to truck

I do have the tow package. I have a 2003 Explorer XLT with the NBX package. I have already stated I will not be doing a lift at any point. Just a simple rim and tire replacement.

im running 255/75-17 bfg mud terrains with a 2.25/1.75 btf lift and i rub at full lock ... stock wheels

Im running 265/75/16 on my 05 with NO lift and cragar soft 8's 16x8 NO RUB AT ALL

I had 2 different styles of 265/75R16's on my 05. First were DC Mud Country's, and then BFG AT/KO's. NO lift. At FULL steering lock, I sometimes had a tiny bit of rubbing on the inside plastic fender liner, and mostly in reverse. It can be fixed with a couple of zip ties but I couldn't be bothered as it wasn't all the time or bad enough to worry about.

Dick Cepek Mud Country's, 265/75R16;
HPIM1781.jpg

HPIM1794.jpg

HPIM1793.jpg

Nolift2.jpg

HPIM1777.jpg

Back