@!#$%^ - Cranial Flatulence | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

@!#$%^ - Cranial Flatulence

Well, I thought I had the X all ready for truckhaven.. On my test drive (didn't get far) things went awry. Apparently I got distracted and thought I installed a bolt when I didn't.. I must have had a brain fart....

After about 1 hour of wrenching the front end now looks like this.

Front end, apart again by maniak_az, on Flickr

And inside the Driver side beam had this..

Dana 35 trac lok damage-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Here is what I saw inside the diff.

Dana 35 trac lok damage-2 by maniak_az, on Flickr

From what I can tell, the case and carrier and even all the gears are fine.

I looked in the box of the old diff parts and viola, there is the cross shaft retaining bolt.. It would have worked so much better if I installed it "in" the diff.

The issue now is to find a Dana 35 trac lok cross shaft. The cross shaft from the factory open diff isn't the same size..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh no man.

The good thing is that you found the part after a good fart.

Doh!

I've done similar things building engine's and transmissions.....

I once put a M5OD transmission together Bolted it all up, mounted the driveshaft.....

Went to go hook up the Clutch Hydraulics....and there was NO slave cylinder to hook it up to!!

I got up off the ground, walked into the shop, and there it was....sitting in a bag, in a box, on my work bench...

Doh!

Ryan

What a bummer. Is it just the pic, or is the driver side axle buggard up at the spline?

Mark, I think that TracLok is cursed! When 4WPW installed it in my truck in the mid-90's, I picked the truck up when they were done, drove out to Truckhaven for my very first time at Desert Safari, started on the official run, and at the very first hill I put it in 4lo, drove 100 feet and BAM, the diff blew up and punched a hole through the housing. Turns out they did not install the cross shaft retaining bolt either! Cursed, I tell ya!!

For those who don't know, Mark is using my old TracLok here.

What a bummer. Is it just the pic, or is the driver side axle buggard up at the spline?
I check both the drivers side (not in the picture) and the passenger side one and the ends look ok. I have 2 spare sets of axles too, just in case.

I have a brand new Richmond Gear Hardened cross shaft that is still in the box. It fits the stock D35 Carrier.

Will it work in your application?
I don't think it will. I still have my Open carrier and the Pinion / Cross shaft is smaller than the one from the trac lok.

If anyone has any idea where to buy, or even the right p/n for the Dana 35 Trac Lok Carriar shaft please let me know.

~Mark

...I did a bunch of searching so far and this is what I come up with..Will post more later if I find it..;)

..This is suppose to be the service manual..
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5313-3.pdf

I would check with these two places in the morning though..:biggthump

Randy's..(hard to find what you want on their website..:rolleyes: )
http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList...+Front&CatID=38&Category=Posi+/+Positractions

..and Drivetrain.com..
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ring_and_pinions/dana_35_ring_and_pinion_sets.html

Tbars,
I started searching using some of your pages (and words on those pages) as a starting point and I came up with this..

This page shows the exploded view of the Dana 35 rear in a jeep and shows 42990 as the p/n for the pin on a trac-lok
http://www.4wheelers.com/jeep-tj-wrangler-dana-35-c-390.html

If that is right, I see sixstates has it
http://www.sixstates.com/products/components.jsp?part=708184&supplier=DA

I even found it at rockauto...
Can anyone else verify that its the right p/n? I found a couple pages that showed the 42990 as listed for both trac-lok and open carrier..

What I'm not 100% sure about is what is the trac-lok really out of? I know it came from Ranger X's ranger, BUT, is it really a jeep trac-lok? If so, that may explain why the Ford d-35 TTB cross pin is the wrong size and the jeep one "might" be teh same size between LS and open carriers.. BUT, that exploded view link above does show different part #'s for open and LS.

~Mark

...I've seen several instances that our Dana 35 shared parts with the amc/heeps but I would talk directly to Drivetrain and/or Randy's to get that factual information..:hammer:

..Hopefully, it's not one of these shafts but it may give a couple more P/N's to look at..(My eyes are going crossed after reading so much..:confused: )

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXL-PNI-58.pdf

..and I'm getting goofy..:p:

I know its not one of those. It has the cross shaft lock. Well, it does if I remember to install it.

I really hope it the 42990 one.. I found that in a few places. < $10 for the part and shipping is gonna be upwards of $30 (want it overnight)

~Mark

I know its not one of those. It has the cross shaft lock. Well, it does if I remember to install it.

~Mark

..But it may be one of the p/n's referenced in stock in that pdf..;)

..Any updates on the part?..:popcorn:

Update..

The Trac Lok carrier in I have in front of the '92 explorer part # 73630X which is listed for a Rear Axle, Jeep Dana 35 trac lok.

The Pinion shaft / cross shaft is a DS42990.

It was $10 ish for the shaft and the retaining bolt from Randy's ring and pinion.

Shipping was another story, I had it shipped priority overnight. So, you know it ain't cheap.. But you gotta pay if you wanna play, in a couple days :)

~Mark

..I love it when the pieces come together..:biggthump

..I love it when the pieces come together..:biggthump

Well, I had until 3:00 MST to order it from Randys. I also called Arizona Differential, first they said yes they have it but the guy who can answer question just left the building. Then later in the day I got a maybe and I got the price of $40 or so, and its used, and they need to find it. That was all throughout the day as I had to keep calling them. Arizona Differential just doesn't seem to understand when I say I "need it" tomorrow that they should put eyes and hands on it right then.. I was even willing to let the extra cost they would charge for used part that costs < $10 new slide since they were in state (shipping would have been cheap)..

At 2:50, after I called Arizona Differential again, they told me they had to find it and its $25 , I told them I'll go order it new for $8.. If they haven't put hands on it, how do they know its even sellable?

I called Randy's @ 2:55 and it'll be here tomorrow. Cost me a bunch more for shipping, but they knew they had them..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back