Crank, no start, 2nd attempt fires up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crank, no start, 2nd attempt fires up.

Robertstella7

Reaction score
City, State
Braselton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Ok everyone, could use your help. I’ve been searching this everywhere and can’t really get a hold on what my problem might be. So, usually when my 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (147k miles) is cool, I attempt to crank and I get a long crank but no start, but almost 99% of the time, if I press the button a second time, it will crank. It runs and drives perfects once running. Also, every once in a while, when it’s turning over, it will attempt to start running and then die out but then I just hit the button again and it cranks back up and runs fine. A few months ago, it was doing this about once a week, now it’s doing it almost daily so it has gotten progressively worse.

My thoughts were spark or fuel. I’m installing new spark plugs tonight but wasn’t sure if it might be fuel pump/module or crank positions sensor, etc. I don’t get any lights though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Robert and Stella. :wave:
If it was a spark plug issue then I doubt it would start and run fine on the second attempt. How many miles are on the vehicle? According to the Manual, the plugs should be changed at 100k miles. I wonder if it could be a throttle body issue? Any corrosion build up on the + battery terminal?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Robert and Stella. :wave:
If it was a spark plug issue then I doubt it would start and run fine on the second attempt. How many miles are on the vehicle? According to the Manual, the plugs should be changed at 100k miles. I wonder if it could be a throttle body issue? Any corrosion build up on the + battery terminal?

Peter
thanks! It has 147,x.. miles. The spark plugs were changed last night and the issue occurred again today so they didn’t fix the issue. There’s a little corrosion on battery terminals but it turns over fast and smooth. Battery seems to be sending power with no issue. Don’t know about the throttle body. Had that been an issue for others?

This is most likely a sensor like a crank position or coolant temperature that sends data to the computer. It knows it’s failed to start so it uses a pretty-canned set of values it knows will start the motor under most circumstances.

This was very common on the second gens with the coolant temp sensor. Not sure what the most likely culprit will be on your year range, but it’s not likely to be a regular tune up item, like plugs.

................................ Don’t know about the throttle body. Had that been an issue for others?
It was an issue with some of the 2016 Explorers but not a common one for other years as far as I know. 2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems
It may well be a sensor as suggested but because this issue seems to be getting more frequent I wonder if it might get to the point where it won't start at all. :dunno:

Peter

It was an issue with some of the 2016 Explorers but not a common one for other years as far as I know. 2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems
It may well be a sensor as suggested but because this issue seems to be getting more frequent I wonder if it might get to the point where it won't start at all. :dunno:

Peter

thank you. The first try no start is getting more frequent. But still seems to be starting on the second try almost every time. Only a couple times has the second try given me any issues.

Wonder if it's fuel pressure related.
Maybe fuel system is bleeding down after sitting. The first crank cycle primes the system so when you try again, the pressure is there.

Is the 2nd crank more common when sitting for a while?
Does it have any issues when you shut it down for a short time, like running into a store for a few minutes.

My old mustang (fuel injected) would bleed down fuel pressure when sitting for a while. I had to cycle the key a couple times to prime the system otherwise it would crank for a long time.

Wonder if it's fuel pressure related.
Maybe fuel system is bleeding down after sitting. The first crank cycle primes the system so when you try again, the pressure is there.

Is the 2nd crank more common when sitting for a while?
Does it have any issues when you shut it down for a short time, like running into a store for a few minutes.

My old mustang (fuel injected) would bleed down fuel pressure when sitting for a while. I had to cycle the key a couple times to prime the system otherwise it would crank for a long time.

I have actually wondered if it was fuel pressure related. Pump not priming or getting old. Something along those lines. Or a sensor issue. Just frustrating because I don’t want to just throw parts at it.

Back