Crankcase ventilation system disconnected? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crankcase ventilation system disconnected?

TXExplrPlt17

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Went to my local shop and they ran diagnostics. Said it would be $300 and three hours of labor to replace the PCV valve. Did a YouTube search and got pissed and left: 3 minute repair, including dropping the wrench. Got an OBD reader and now it's coding for the picture below. Can anybody help me with this?

Explorer code 10.22.2020.jpg

I called the manager of the shop and asked him why they would do that to me since I've been going there for 10 years. 'I'll call you by tomorrow morning.' I hope he does and I hope they have a good explanation for why they would pull that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you fixed the issue did you clear the codes or unhook the battery and let it know its fixed.

I am going to post pics of this once everything is done this weekend. So far, I've done the following:
1. 5 Star Tune
2. Cup holder, console, etc. liner kit (17 pieces) - black/red so really makes the interior pop
3. PlastiDip all chrome
4. Off-road high beam bulbs
5. LED interior bulbs
6. Aftermarket stereo system: all new speakers, amps, sub, etc.
Can't remember what else because it came so nicely equipped.

Fixed it and it runs like new. Thank you very much! Can't wait to install new gapped plugs tomorrow and reinstall tune.
Plugs are great, makes a big noticeable difference. Get the nice platinum ones. If you're gonna do them, clean your throttle body too at the same time, just a couple more steps if that, and a bottle of carb cleaner. Here's a video. And a Second Video. Both are important. Even a slight bit of colored gum in there really affects airflow into the intake. Gotta disconnect the battery, drain system residual current too, and relearn the shift points, but what a difference for a meager effort.

Plugs are great, makes a big noticeable difference. Get the nice platinum ones. If you're gonna do them, clean your throttle body too at the same time, just a couple more steps if that, and a bottle of carb cleaner. Here's a video. And a Second Video. Both are important. Even a slight bit of colored gum in there really affects airflow into the intake. Gotta disconnect the battery, drain system residual current too, and relearn the shift points, but what a difference for a meager effort.
Thank you very much for this. I have the platinum plugs, and I'm going to gap them per the tuner's suggestion. Have had them for a while but not able to install until now because of broken ribs. One question: carb cleaner for injected vehicle? Or is it just using it as a cleaner?

Thank you very much for this. I have the platinum plugs, and I'm going to gap them per the tuner's suggestion. Have had them for a while but not able to install until now because of broken ribs. One question: carb cleaner for injected vehicle? Or is it just using it as a cleaner?
You'll have the throttle body entirely off the car, so there's that, also be safe cause it can chop fingers. Usually the cleaning product is called "carb, choke, and throttle body cleaner" in a spray can. You should get a new throttle body gasket as well.

Sorry i took so long to get back to you my Mounty decided it was time for some tlc so i have been busy with it. Glad that got you going. I tell you what i do. Anything im going to do to the trucks that will take longer than a hour and is not electrical item i take out the battery and throw it on the charger, keeps the battery higher than your alt can using a trickle charge. You can always give your teminals a quick scrub too. Doesnt take long and it really helps. Now if what your doing is electrical always unhook the battery. Some computers do pick stuff up some dont just how it is. My B series truck that computer picks up everything my 96 X nd 06 Mounty do not. Any ways Glad you got it going!!!

Check Engine light on again. Ran diagnostic, same code popping up. Anybody have a suggestion? My understanding is that there are 2 PCV valves. . .could the other one need replacing? As you can tell, I have zero experience with this stuff. Thank you ahead of time.

What year motor ect is this again?

Sounds good, let me know what they say please!

Sounds good, let me know what they say please!
Okay, so now I really need your help. Both PCV valves have been replaced (one by me, one by dealership) and it's STILL throwing the same code. Wth. Any ideas, team? I'm still baffled that they didn't look at the check engine light still on when it left. I asked and he said 'Oh, we only do the work that you ask us to do.' I get that, but a Ford vehicle is leaving your Ford dealership with the Check Engine light on, bruh. . .might want to check that or at least mention it to me before I Uber up there to pick it up.

Okay, so now I really need your help. Both PCV valves have been replaced (one by me, one by dealership) and it's STILL throwing the same code. Wth. Any ideas, team? I'm still baffled that they didn't look at the check engine light still on when it left. I asked and he said 'Oh, we only do the work that you ask us to do.' I get that, but a Ford vehicle is leaving your Ford dealership with the Check Engine light on, bruh. . .might want to check that or at least mention it to me before I Uber up there to pick it up.
Did you ever get this fixed? If yes, what did you need to do. I am getting the same code on my 2017 Ford Explorer.

Did you ever get this fixed? If yes, what did you need to do. I am getting the same code on my 2017 Ford Explorer.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I hope the member is still following the thread. He was last seen here in June.

Peter

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just picked up a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport with 3.5L EcoBoost and this exact code came on as I left the dealership on the night of the purchase.

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just picked up a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport with 3.5L EcoBoost and this exact code came on as I left the dealership on the night of the purchase.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member you quoted was last seen here on June 8, 2021 so may no longer be following. Perhaps another member may have some info.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DID YOU EVER FIX THIS???????

Back