Cranking and blowing fuses

Awon2zip

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
I was having trouble finding any other threads with similar problems so here i go. Today my 94 Explorer blew the fuel pump relay fuse for the second time in 3 months. First time it happened, back in March, we couldn't figure out the problem and decided to send it into the shop. The guy figured it out pretty quick, it was just a 30 AMP fuse the costs had blown. We bought an extra fuse just in case it happened again. He noted that if it happened it would be a more serious electrical problem and here we are again.

Happened the same way. i started to move then suddenly died. It cranks, there's power, but doesn't start. We put in the new fuse, but when i cranked the engine it blew the fuse. the Check engine light doesn't come on only the battery light. Anyone have the same problem and/or have a solution or things to try? Could it be a serious electrical problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a short circuit somewhere. I would suggest this:

Disconnect the electrical at the fuel pump, test the fuse connections using a meter set on DC Volts with the engine cranking. If you get a reading it indicates a short in the wiring. No change indicates a bad fuel pump or its wires.

If it is not the fuel pump you have a short circuit in the wiring between the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump electrical connector you disconnected.

Since the Fuse only blows when you try to start the engine the problem is after the Fuel Pump Relay and between it and the Fuel Pump. I suspect you have damaged wires somewhere along the frame rail or near the Fuel Pump Relay.

Here is a post on the Relay. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208097
Here is another post that might help. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398149

First place to look would be the inertia switch located on the firewall; passenger side foot-well just above the carpet.

Someone may have kicked it, or crushed it stretching their legs. Ask me how I know.

Just checked the interia swtich and the red button is pushed so it ain't that. Thanks anyways.

Does anyone know where the two wires (green wire with yellow stripe and pink wire with black stripe) leading from the inertia switch end up? Believe that one of the two wires is short circuited.

Also the fuse blows as soon as i turn on the car and not crank the engine

Back