Cranks no start

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
I drove 260 miles 1 way. I then stopped to fill up gas. No problems before hand. No starting, fuel or otherwise. I got gas, tried to start, cranks, but won't start. The button on the inertia switch is down. I popped it up manually & reset it. Took the connector out, looked fine. Wiggled it, nothing. I swapped the relay with the headliht one, nothing. Bought 2 new relays, nothing, was told the fuel pump was replaced before I bought it. That would be about 3 years & only 12K miles ago. I knocked on the gas tank with a mallet a few times, nothing.
If the timing change broke would I this be a result?
Normal shop hours by me, I can't replace the fuel pump myself. What should I expect to pay if it is the fuel pump?
Ant other suggestions? I don't have access to a fuel pressure tester. I was told I could try spraying the intake with starter fluid?
Where is the fuel pressure port?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drove 260 miles 1 way. I then stopped to fill up gas. No problems before hand. No starting, fuel or otherwise. I got gas, tried to start, cranks, but won't start. The button on the inertia switch is down. I popped it up manually & reset it. Took the connector out, looked fine. Wiggled it, nothing. I swapped the relay with the headliht one, nothing. Bought 2 new relays, nothing, was told the fuel pump was replaced before I bought it. That would be about 3 years & only 12K miles ago. I knocked on the gas tank with a mallet a few times, nothing.
If the timing change broke would I this be a result?
Normal shop hours by me, I can't replace the fuel pump myself. What should I expect to pay if it is the fuel pump?
Ant other suggestions? I don't have access to a fuel pressure tester. I was told I could try spraying the intake with starter fluid?
Where is the fuel pressure port?

By using starting fluid, this will help point in the direction of the problem, either fuel delivery related, or ignition/spark related. Give a good spray of fluid past an open throttle blade, close blade and crank, if engine fires (runs) for a few seconds, something is wrong with the fuel delivery. If it still just cranks over after spraying the fluid in the intake track, then something is amiss with the ignition/spark.
Also check and make sure the vehicles theft/security system has not been falsely activated to prevent possible theft.

OK I guess it is the fuel pump. I tried the starter fluid. Started & ran for 10 seconds then died. Did it again same result. Must have been one cheap pump used last time.

OK I guess it is the fuel pump. I tried the starter fluid. Started & ran for 10 seconds then died. Did it again same result. Must have been one cheap pump used last time.

Ok, so the next step is to make sure the fuel pump is getting power (12v) when you turn the key on. Have you tried to put fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail to see what, if any fuel pressure you have?
It also wouldn't hurt to check and make sure the fuel filter is not clogged and restricting fuel flow.

Bang on it harder. If you can get it going it’ll likely make it home. As for shop labor on that fuel pump, I’d expect to pay 2-500.

It was towed to my grandma's. It will sit there until I have the time to tow it to a shop. Don't have the tools, time, or space to troubleshoot any further. $576 for replacement. A little cheaper if I can use the AAA discount I have.

Make sure it’s a Bosch/Motorcraft replacement going in, or you’ll be here again in a year.

Back