Cranks, starts, dies. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cranks, starts, dies.

In the story they are electric powered. Ive got a JP project that I've been working on for a long time. It's been in storage for quite a few years now just waiting patiently. I've got a build thread on this forum actually. I've considered doing an EV swap and had some electric forklift parts at one time to do it. However the system was not going to be efficient enough to be useful, and may have only had a top speed of around 30 MPH. The truck probably would have weighed close to 6K with all the golf cart batteries it would have needed!

Now the technology is a lot different. I'll use forklift parts because I can get them fairly inexpensively. The biggest difference is AC drive. It's way more efficient and there is so much more available torque at a lower current draw. There probably won't ever be a spare tired sized battery pack for a vehicle this size, but never say never!!

@RADIOACTIVE_TOOL_SHED___ an all out ban on ICE vehicles in the US would be a hard sell. It would take a long time for things to got to that point. But I could see legislation forcing them off the road due to cost of registration and tax penalties, over time. Things change slowly and if you don't pay attention, you might get surprised one day.

I do embrace electrification, however it's wrong to penalize those that decide to keep the old stuff going. Especially when in the grand scheme, they don't amount to a drop in the bucket of emitters. Industry including agriculture, has more effect on CO2 emissions than all the vehicles on the road do. Attacking one tiny segment of the auto hobby is pointless. There are a lot of things changing right now. It's a rather exciting time to be living. I imagine the next ten years being almost as significant for auto technology as the days before 1930.
A legit electric, self driving Jurassic Park Explorer would sure be cool.... I read your build thread at some point, btw. I was a dinosaur obsessed 5 year old when the movie came out, it was pretty much my entire life for a few years!

I have a feeling that safety concerns and general wear and tear will take more of these vehicles off the road than any ICE legislation. Everything, and I mean everything is bigger, heavier and faster than our fancy Rangers anymore. When 6,000 lbs of battery and aluminum with computer designed crumple zones and 13 airbags slams into any vehicle from the "more ashtrays than safety features" era I don't see the occupants of the classic walking away. Even a brand new Corolla is only one inch shorter in length and just as wide as a first gen 4 door. Put 2 healthy Americans and all their crap in the Corolla and it weighs the same too! Have you parked next to a new F150 lately? Might as well get smacked by a Mack...

The penalties for keeping these things on the road already exist. I hope they don't raise the highway speed limit to 85 anytime soon.

Very true! I think of that a lot when I'm out in my model A, or my 62 Fairlane. No seatbelts, no crumple zones, no collapsible steering column, steel dash. The dash of a model A is the fuel tank by the way. It would be a bad deal to get hit in any one of those. You're right, modern cars are huge, pickups larger. 90s F150s look like rangers compared to the new ones. Then when you look at something from the 50s, they look like toys.

I'm really hoping that I can soon continue my JP build. Probably no self driving, but possibly electric at some point. I'd just like to get it together and rolling under its own power soon.

A legit electric, self driving Jurassic Park Explorer would sure be cool.... I read your build thread at some point, btw. I was a dinosaur obsessed 5 year old when the movie came out, it was pretty much my entire life for a few years!

I have a feeling that safety concerns and general wear and tear will take more of these vehicles off the road than any ICE legislation. Everything, and I mean everything is bigger, heavier and faster than our fancy Rangers anymore. When 6,000 lbs of battery and aluminum with computer designed crumple zones and 13 airbags slams into any vehicle from the "more ashtrays than safety features" era I don't see the occupants of the classic walking away. Even a brand new Corolla is only one inch shorter in length and just as wide as a first gen 4 door. Put 2 healthy Americans and all their crap in the Corolla and it weighs the same too! Have you parked next to a new F150 lately? Might as well get smacked by a Mack...

The penalties for keeping these things on the road already exist. I hope they don't raise the highway speed limit to 85 anytime soon.
Lmao more ashtrays than safety features, there's 75MPH speed limits on highways around here I don't think my 93 would be to happy doing that speed cuz these weren't ever really designed to go over 65 MPH

Update! Put in a new ECM and that fixed it. But then I blew a brake line.... So it a new hydraulic system. Ran great for a gay and a half then the clutch line disconnected from the slave and I consequently broke the clutch pushrod.... Gonna have a brand new truck by fall at this rate.

Back