• Register Today It's free!

Crappy ride... Or am I too picky?

ExplorerXLT95

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
I would like to improve the ride quality in my 2000 Explorer (with 145k). When I impact any type of a non-flat surface (pot hole, bridge joint, etc), it jars the suspension noticeably.

So far, I have replaced the shocks (all 5) with Bilstein Heavy Duty (fronts B46-2133-H0, rears B46-2134-H0, axle-wrap B36-2135-H0) and replaced the lower control arm ball joints with Moog parts.

What other suspension components can I replace in an attempt to improve ride quality?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you may have bought the wrong shocks - typically "heavy duty" shocks are "stiffer" and therefore rides more harsh.

I think you may have bought the wrong shocks - typically "heavy duty" shocks are "stiffer" and therefore rides more harsh.

Those are the only ones Bilstein sells for the 2000 Ford Explorer.
Per www.eshocks.com:

Are the heavy duty shocks designed for hard use or made as an all around shock?
Bilstein heavy duty shocks are very suitable for both on and offroad use. They may be stiffer than your OEM shocks, but should give you a better feeling of control and stability.

What is the main difference between the different settings?
Comfort setting shocks would be very much like the original shocks for your car. Heavy Duty will be somewhat stiffer and give your car a stiffer and more controlled ride. Sport setting shocks are 30% stiffer than Heavy Duty and are usually used with lowering springs for very hard driving and competition. We recommend Heavy Duty shocks for most applications.

Do you really think I purchased the wrong shocks for what I'm going for?

Well I can't be sure because I've never had those shocks - but considering that the unsprung vs sprung ratio of the vehicle, it would make more sense not to get an HD shock - unless you do a lot of towing where an improperly damped suspension can lead to dangerous oscillations.

But onto another thought, are your tires overpressured?
Posted via Mobile Device

I will say from experience that I replaced my shocks and it was like driving a newer car. I bought the cheaper variety Monroe variety and what a huge change. There are better choices Im sure. Warn out shocks are worse than no shocks at all.

Have you adjusted the torsion bars? This can be a source of a rough ride.

I've got Bilsteins on my '99 and the ride improved significantly. The ride was a bit more firm that stock, but still has a nice plushness.

Keep in mind that you're driving a TRUCK. If you want cushy, but a car or a CUV. ;)

Well I can't be sure because I've never had those shocks - but considering that the unsprung vs sprung ratio of the vehicle, it would make more sense not to get an HD shock - unless you do a lot of towing where an improperly damped suspension can lead to dangerous oscillations.

But onto another thought, are your tires overpressured?

Well, I usually keep them around 38. Is that considered overpressured?

I will say from experience that I replaced my shocks and it was like driving a newer car. I bought the cheaper variety Monroe variety and what a huge change. There are better choices Im sure. Warn out shocks are worse than no shocks at all.

I have to believe that Bilstein offers a good shock at least as good as a Monroe. Thinking back on it, the old completely-worn shocks were pretty rough too and, indeed, rougher than the Bilsteins. \

Have you adjusted the torsion bars? This can be a source of a rough ride.

I have NOT adjusted the torsion bars. Why would that need to be done for a simple shock replacement? We did the LCA ball joints at the same time too. Would that necessitate a torsion bar adjustment?

I've got Bilsteins on my '99 and the ride improved significantly. The ride was a bit more firm that stock, but still has a nice plushness.

Keep in mind that you're driving a TRUCK. If you want cushy, but a car or a CUV. ;)

Yea, I know it's not a Lexus; believe me. I just want to make sure I have the best ride possible. I feel like there's just some minor adjustment that needs to be made to give it a better ride.

Don't get me wrong folks, the ride definitely improved with the new shocks. It just didn't improve as much as I was expecting. Perhaps my expectations were too high?

Welcome to torsion bars! I love the fact my homemade solid axle coil sprung front suspension rides better that what big Ford could come up with for an IFS.

Seriously though you bigger problem is the shocks. They are too stiff. You want the softest shocks possible for the smoothest ride. Cheap Monroe's seem to be rated about right.

My 98 Mountie rides like a chuckwagon. If you find a softer ride, plez post.

I spent a few xtra bucks and went with the Rancho adjustable shocks. The new 9000XL series will get you best of both worlds. Soft of stiff (or in between) with a crank of the dial. Can even get a set up for them to adjust them inside the cab with a push of a button.

The repairs don't necessitate you to adjust the torsion bars. However, if the had been adjusted by a previous owner it is possible this could contribute to the ride problem. 38 PSI seems somewhat high. 30-32 I would think would be enough.

Well, I usually keep them around 38. Is that considered overpressured?

38 PSI seems somewhat high. 30-32 I would think would be enough.

The factory documentation for my 2000 Sport recommends 26psi for all 4 tires. sounded a bit low to me, but it rode fine. now that i'm running a shorter and wider tire size i usually run around 30psi

EDIT: also, i agree with the softer shocks equaling better ride quality, i'm no expert, and if anyone here IS an expert please correct any of my misconceptions, but here's the way i understand it:

softer shocks = smoother ride, smoother reaction to small road obstacles, slower and more exaggerated steering reaction, but maybe a little more bouncing because the shocks dont dampen as much spring movement, less control and more body roll/pitch while cornering, braking and accelerating

harder shocks = rougher ride, more abrupt reaction to road obstacles, quicker and more precise steering reaction, less bouncing because the shocks dampen more spring movement, more control and less body roll/pitch while cornering, braking and accelerating

softer springs = smoother ride (to a degree until suspension bottoms out), smoother reaction to small road obstacles, may bottom out on larger obstacles, can be dangerous under heavy loads/towing due to lack of control, can be dangerous when coupled with worn out/excessively soft shocks because the body rolls/pitches to an extreme degree if emergency maneuvers are not performed properly (thus the rollover hazard of our top-heavy trucks)

harder springs = stiffer ride, more abrupt reaction to road obstacles, respond more naturally under heavy loads/towing, can be squirrelly, jittery or throw the vehicle around suddenly when encountering road obstacles at speed if springs and shocks are too hard for vehicle application

suspension tuning is all about balancing what you want, with what your vehicle needs and then factoring in practicality

My 98 Mountie rides like a chuckwagon. If you find a softer ride, plez post.
The late 80s early 90s Cadillacs like the Fleetwood - with a tiny unsprung to sprung weight ratio and low CG (compared to an SUV) ;)

I would like to improve the ride quality in my 2000 Explorer (with 145k). When I impact any type of a non-flat surface (pot hole, bridge joint, etc), it jars the suspension noticeably.

So far, I have replaced the shocks (all 5) with Bilstein Heavy Duty (fronts B46-2133-H0, rears B46-2134-H0, axle-wrap B36-2135-H0) and replaced the lower control arm ball joints with Moog parts.

What other suspension components can I replace in an attempt to improve ride quality?

I agree, I think the HD shocks are too stiff. I put Monroe Sensa-tracs on my 99 and the ride is smooth. I still have the stock axle damper, I don't believe it really serves any function.

What kind of tires do you have? Are they XL tires (extra load)? That would definately make the ride harder because of the extra sidewall ply. I know because I had a set of General XL's and the ride was hard. When I replaced them with Michelin Cross Terrains it was like night and day.
Also try to run the tires at 30PSI. 26 is too low.

softer springs = smoother ride (to a degree until suspension bottoms out), smoother reaction to small road obstacles, may bottom out on larger obstacles, can be dangerous under heavy loads/towing due to lack of control, can be dangerous when coupled with worn out/excessively soft shocks because the body rolls/pitches to an extreme degree if emergency maneuvers are not performed properly (thus the rollover hazard of our top-heavy trucks)

harder springs = stiffer ride, more abrupt reaction to road obstacles, respond more naturally under heavy loads/towing, can be squirrelly, jittery or throw the vehicle around suddenly when encountering road obstacles at speed if springs and shocks are too hard for vehicle application

Um, 2000 Ford Explorer XLTs do NOT have springs, right? Just checking, cause you're making me nervous.

I'll try dropping tire pressure down to 32psi. We'll see what that does.

Um, 2000 Ford Explorer XLTs do NOT have springs, right? Just checking, cause you're making me nervous.

I'll try dropping tire pressure down to 32psi. We'll see what that does.

Torsion bars in front, leaf springs in the rear.

The factory documentation for my 2000 Sport recommends 26psi for all 4 tires. sounded a bit low to me, but it rode fine. now that i'm running a shorter and wider tire size i usually run around 30psi

26psi is not enough air, it's too low. That was part of the problem with the whole Firestone fiasco was that recommendation. IMO under 32psi is too low and personally don't go under 35psi. Plus more air in the tires will get you better gas mileage.

26psi is not enough air, it's too low. That was part of the problem with the whole Firestone fiasco was that recommendation.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, i had second thoughts about that when i read the tag that said

"Dear Explorer/Mountaineer Customer: your vehicle is equipped with FIRESTONE P235/75R15 all-terrain tires. to maximize ride comfort, please maintain your tire pressure at the recommended level of 26 psi."

thanks for clearing that up, yeah 26psi is way too low, who even posted that response anyway!? what an idiot.... :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Switching from half worn Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to new Michelin LTX M/S improved my ride ALOT.

Back