crazy new ideal for a first gen explorer(well maybe) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

crazy new ideal for a first gen explorer(well maybe)

project92

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
00E.B.,93 xlt 92 xlt
has any body ever tried sticking a deisel in a explorer???? well there a kid down the road that want me to build hima 6-12 inch lift for his dodge in turn he has a izusi 4 cycl motor I want... tranny is bad on it so my crazy ideal is to stick it in a 93 explorer weight should not be a problem but I'll have to find a differnt tranny for it dont want to use the adl4 maybe Ill find a stick from a little dodge d-50 or a izusi truck any ideal guys????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update I just went ebay shopping found out they put these motors in chevettes dodge d-50 and isuzuz tropers so the possibilties are endless one guy claims 40 mpg on biodeisel hmmm I could live with 25 in a first gen explorer:)

Search search search search.

Seems to me the easiest way to get a diesel Explorer is to import a diesel Ranger and swap

ahh but these are like hens teeth(diesel rangers) I'm looking at a plentiful source of parts and vehicle (for tranny t-case ect..) what kind of diesel did the ranger have in it?

There was somebody on this website about a year ago who was in the Denver area that was looking to import diesels from South America for use in Explorers. I think he had located all the adpaters. Try to search for it.

This has been brought up, covered, buried, driven over, and crushed....you need to search.

The cost of the conversion will kill you, everything will have to be completely custom.
Now with that said you can alway spick up any diesel truck, complete, with a diesel small enough to semi fit, have everything you need to make it run right there, and swap it all over into an explorer.

The guys name who wanted to do that was Brett, hes my wrenching/conversion friend, a moderator on this site, and probably capable of building a true Diesel Explorer, but the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ = not worth it.

Of course the $$$$$$$ I spent building my BII would be viewed as "not worth it" to some people, so who am I to say?

When did they have a diesel in a ranger and what size of motor?

Now, and everywhere but in the USA
4 cyl turbo I believe

mmmmmmm

gtet a fullsize diesel, put the explorer body on that frame.

Yeah you think i'm being a smartass, do a search for arasoul or someone like that (may be misspelled). He put an explorer body on a full size frame. Probaly be easier and cheaper

cp

Here's a list of some of the years ford sold diesels here in the US.

1983/84 Ranger 2.2L Diesel
1985/87 Ranger 2.3L Turbo Diesel
2000/02 Excursion 2wd & 4wd 7.3L Diesel
1988/02 E250/E350 Van7.3L Diesel
1988/02 F250/F350 2wd & 4wd 7.3L V8 Diesel

A friend of ours has 310,000 miles on his 2.3 turbo diesel ranger and other than the body trying to rot off of it it's in good shape.

There are 6.9L diesels too but they are fairly problematic and if I had the choice go with a 7.3L

I own 3 6.9 deisels so I know of there quirks... I dont think you can shoe horn one in then you have a weight problem a 6.9 in a explorer you would have to slap the body on th f-250 frame I'm looking for a sleeper deisel (looking like a stock explorer but the heart of a diesel)
I will update you all when this project is done....

is it worth havin diesel now when the diesel prices are so high?

yes and no depending on your diesel if your diesel will get 15-20 mpg (4cyly) ... making your own biodeisel will cut cost of fuel 25%-50% and add propane injection it would be worth it...plus I get rid of the crappy adl4:)

well guys I got the motor but finding the tranny (it was shot ) is being a pain... talked to a bunch of diesel guys(isuz) and they say the model I got was okay motor but small for the explorer and adding the turbo would blow the rods you hade to buy a turbo motor or upgrade your rods..

A guy on therangerstation.com put a diesel into a gen I explorer

only downside the ex was a 2wd :p:

well I got 3 differnt donor motors just researching which will be th ebest for my application I even thought of a turbo 2300:salute:

I definately thought about this as well

clatter clater clatter rattle rattle clatter clater clatter rattle rattle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personal opinion, don't do it, diesels stink.

Back