• Register Today It's free!

Crazy PCM experience

andres666

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Just wanted to share the craziest experience I just had with my PCM. The PCM on my card needs to be replaced because some error codes just won't erase after changing the part. It turns out that the few error codes that I have are indicative of a bad PCM. I got a rebuilt PCM that was programmed to my VIN. I go to a locksmith that has the computer and the other part to reprogram my keys (I got two new keys) to the new PCM. I take the new PCM and plug it and I left the old PCM in its case. The guy programs the new keys to the newly connected PCM. After about ten minutes he tells me to try to turn the car on. I do and nothing the programming of the keys to the new connected pcm fail. I reconnect the oll PCM and use my old key (that was never touched) and the car does not turn on. I begin to panic and the locksmith tells me to use my new keys with the OLD PCM and the car turns on!!!!

Long story short, the new keys somehow got programmed to the old PCM even though it wasn't connected. The only thing that I can think of is that somehow the keys got programmed to the PCM that was closer in proximity (which the old PCM was).

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like this is a sign that it is not the PCM storing the key ID's.

Why program in new keys anyway, instead of just the old ones to the new PCM? I mean if it were the PCM that stores the key IDs? If you wanted more keys, then program in both the old and new at the same time.

There's no way to program keys into a module that isn't even plugged in to have power and data communication, proximity doesn't matter.

Edit: You did not mention model year, yours appears to be an '06... it would be good to put that in your profile so it shows up on posts as "Trim Level:"

Gen4 keys stored in the Instrument cluster.in case of paired PCM of coarse.

VIN recoding only means nothing.new/reman PCB needs to be reflashed and paired to the rest of the car modules,while connected to the car.
After pairing performed, Pats needs to be reprogrammed.

Seems like this is a sign that it is not the PCM storing the key ID's.

Why program in new keys anyway, instead of just the old ones to the new PCM? I mean if it were the PCM that stores the key IDs? If you wanted more keys, then program in both the old and new at the same time.

There's no way to program keys into a module that isn't even plugged in to have power and data communication, proximity doesn't matter.

Edit: You did not mention model year, yours appears to be an '06... it would be good to put that in your profile so it shows up on posts as "Trim Level:"
Will do thank you. I have decided that I am going to go to the dealer to have them swap out the PCM. I tried going the cheaper route but finding someone that can redo the PATS programming here in NY has been very difficult.

After the PCM is programmed for your VIN, PATS is the easier part, just use Forscan with the extended license on a windows host, however I recall a recent topic where someone wanted to do this and was having trouble getting a Forscan forum account to work or something but that topic was very weird and I don't consider that information reliable, lol.

At the same time, sure, if you need the vehicle back in service ASAP, paying a dealer to get it done is the most expedient option if you can't find a locksmith... which seems a bit strange, but maybe there's a generation shift in locksmiths and the newer ones don't want to learn the trade for older vehicles or invest in that equipment? Just a wild guess.

With Ford IDS (Ford scan tool) when you replace a pcm you do have to do the 10 minute delay for pats but you don't have to have both keys. There's a tab that'll say after pcm install do this in the pats menu and it syncs everything since the keys are stored in instrument cluster. I'd assume the locksmith and forscan has the similar feature but you have to have their highest license to get to the pats menu.

Back