• Register Today It's free!

Crazy

Falcon1965

Reaction score
City, State
Ozark, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac Limited
Just bought a 2002 Sport Trac limited all but given to me I thought not sure what I've gotten into it's the 4.0e motor. Who dreamed up this stupid timing chain system? As I understand it has two chains in front with a shaft under intake to another chain on pass side? You have to pull the mtr to fix this? And of course you have to check for bent valves? I just finished a 89 2.3 on a Ranger that was nothing not looking forward to this one maybe I can get junk price for it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not even sure about that I do nmy own rebuilds but this crazy thing with that timing. Have a 65 Ford Falcon in garage doing resto Mod on 5liter aod etc but it keeps taking back door to other projects just finished a 94 Bronco K15 and lost it to my middle son, so started a 94 3500HD with a 454 cu in $$$$everytime I want parts just finished a 89 Ranger for oldest son now this 2002 Sport Trac interior is immaculate guy said it just quit. I bought it for $300 junkyard was only gonna give him $250 so I'm a Ford nut and sucker. Brooklyn wow I was raised in Silver Creek Ny just west of Buffalo but got drafted spent 23 years with Uncle Sam and retired here in Al kind of nice no snow.

Those motors are not that bad once you get in there and see what is going on and not just on paper. I got my wifes 06 merc mounty premier with the 4.0 for actually the same price 300$ because Ford told them it would cost 8k or somthing like that to fix. It has now been on the road another 100k miles since then for no more than 1200$ in parts and about a week of work when i had time too. They are more daughnting on paper. You can even make your own tools to hold the cams in lace instead of buying them. Once they are right they are some pretty darn good running motor very quick to get the rpms up and shift very quick bone stock. i get 16 city and almost 24 on the highway in it as well. This one had simply slipped the timing chain tensioners as they are made of plastic and if you do not keep after the oil changes and use mototrcraft oil the get hard and just fall off. You can get the kit from cloyes for those motors.

2002 sport trac will take a 5.0 and 4r70w trans from a 99-01 explorer like it came from the factory that way.... just sayin
If you have a 02 trac with a bad SOHC and a possibly bad 5r55e auto trans you might consider bolting in a 302! The 5.0 explorers came with a 4r70w automatic (late model AODE half ton trans) I WOULD do this before I would consider rebuilding the SOHC and taking a chance on that v6 auto trans

Welcome Falcon 1965.

Back