Creaking from front console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Creaking from front console

Colbearnation

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Hi everyone! I have a creaking sound coming from the gear console in my 2017 platinum. It's been to two dealers a total of 6 times now. One dealer can't find the noise and the other just stuffed it with insulation and called it a day. I'm certain the noise comes from a plastic piece that surrounds the shifter coming loose. I'd like to just try to get to it myself at this point since it seems like the dealers aren't going to get it fixed.

Does anyone have an idea of how to open the gear box console to check it out myself? Or if there's a manual that's comprehensive enough to show how to do it and get it back together afterwards.

Thanks!!

On page 180 in my 2016 Owner's Manual it explains how to access the Brake/Shift interlock when the car battery is dead and the car cannot be moved because it is in Park. This procedure requires pulling the shifter 'bezel' off the gearshift area 'finish panel', there is an illustration in the OM that shows the area involved. I'd use a plastic tool to prevent scratches.

These are the removal instructions:
Apply the parking brake and turn the ignition off before performing this procedure.
Insert a screwdriver (or similar tool) between the shifter bezel and the top finish panel.
Use the tool to unsnap the shifter bezel from the finish panel.
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-10%20at%204.06.55%20PM_zps0sdsiyuq.png

I'll try that out. Thanks!!
Good luck finding the source.
Also, please add the 'trim level' (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be useful info. Thanks.

Peter

Back