Creaking while braking: Poly RA bushings to blame or ball joints? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Creaking while braking: Poly RA bushings to blame or ball joints?

beavis195

Reaction score
City, State
Sammamish, WA and Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4 door
Whenever I hit the brakes to come to a stop, about 10 mph down I hear and feel this creaking sound. My Radius arm bushings were replaced a year ago with poly bushings, so I doubt they are to blame. When looking at my maintenance records, about 6 months ago they recommended that both calipers be replaced because the dust seals were worn, and the ball joints were worn. So, is this due to the calipers, ball joints, or RA bushings. For the first time today, the car felt kind of unstable on the freeway, so I'm thinking ball joints.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 94 does this real bad. I dont think it is radius arm bushing. Let me know what you find out as mine is real loud

Hi I have a 92 explorer and am experancing a simalar problem. When under a brake applacation heavy or light and at just about any speed i here a clunk it's only for a second and happen's on ever application. Please help if you can.
Thanks.

Same problem I had before. Squeaking noise on little bumps and braking. The only way to find out is to grease the bushings. If you still hear the squeaks then it's something else.

Have you tried changing sway bar bushings?

no, haven't changed sway bar bushings

Back