• Register Today It's free!

Creating Sound System?

ADKExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS Sport
OK Guys...I could use a little help in creating a new sound system. I have a stock 03 XLS. I am not sure what route to take. I am getting a new head unit which is the starting point. Right now I am heading for an Alpine DA-7897. But when it comes to speakers/sub I am not sure what route to take. I do not think that I want a sub because I am not sure I want to loose the space in the rear. No room or place to put it under the seats. So I was thnking component in the front and 5x7's in the rear but all of the componenets I listen to are just so tiny sounding. What I want is good sound that is not all that muddy and has a little base (not a lot but clear bass). What do you guys think is the best route to take with a 03 XLS??? Thanks in advance for the responses!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money then you could just try the Infinity Reference/Kappa speakers that go in the doors. They have pretty good bass response and I believe that one or the other have built in crossovers. My friends Dodge Stratus R/T has a set in there and they sound pretty good til you turn them up too loud and they start crackling

May i guide you to another forum? caraudio.com i am also a member there, (they know there stuff) and you might get more help there, but here is my .02
Bass from speakers comes mostly from how well your install is and using lots of sound deadener in the doors and putting your speakers in a "box" or baffle i think they are called. I am not familiar with your explorer, mine is a 00.. but isnt there a like trap door type thing in the back? i have seen people put a sub in there where it is hidden and doesnt take up any cargo space.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money then you could just try the Infinity Reference/Kappa speakers that go in the doors. They have pretty good bass response and I believe that one or the other have built in crossovers. My friends Dodge Stratus R/T has a set in there and they sound pretty good til you turn them up too loud and they start crackling

the crackling when you turn them up super loud is 9 times out of 10 caused because the amp or im assuming in this instance the radio or head unit is not able to puch that much "clean" power to the speakers. so when the amp is pushing near "full tilt" it is not sending a clean signal to the speakers so it sounds distorted or crackley or however you want to call it.

If you put a nice 8" woofer in a "Stealth Box" kind of set up it will sound good. You can even hide the amp in the panel on the other side.

grill.jpg

This is a 10" but you see what I mean

the crackling when you turn them up super loud is 9 times out of 10 caused because the amp or im assuming in this instance the radio or head unit is not able to puch that much "clean" power to the speakers. so when the amp is pushing near "full tilt" it is not sending a clean signal to the speakers so it sounds distorted or crackley or however you want to call it.

Thats true. It is easier to blow up speakers with too little power compared to too much power. We tried blowing a 300 watt woofer with a 750 watt Kicker amp and it wouldnt do it, just flexed like mad!

Or if you don't want to use a lot of space or fab. work, just buy a shallow mount or two and throw it in a truck box close to the back seat. takes minimal space. I'd run an amplifier for door speakers and do a component setup.

I think you should start with new speakers and if you want more after that get an 8 inch or 10 inch sub and do a stealth box build as suggested. Bass is pointless without the rest of the notes making their way out

Back