Creeping while in Park

TommyEX

Reaction score
City, State
NY NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 5.0 XLT AWD
Hey gang,

New to the board. I recently purchased a 1996 Explorer 5.0 AWD. I discovered (after purchase, of course) on fairly steep inclines, the truck slowly inches forward while in Park, with the parking brake off. It doesn't roll, but you can see it creeping forward. The parking does the job of holding it when this happens but I'm worried if someone else borrows the truck and it ends up in the middle of the road or worse! :eek:

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It rolls up-hill while in park, or did you mean it rolls down hill either fwd or bkwd depending on the way it's facing? If it moves in park at all, some thing is certainly wrong. I never use the parking brake, and it's always where I last left it!

I withdraw my comment..I dont know what im talking about

I think that there is a pin that engages the flywheel keeping it locked when the transmission is in park so if it is moving I would say to pin got bent or sheared off.

Mine does that.after i put it in park and take my foot off of the break it rools about 2 inches or so.

In park, the vehicle should be stopped by the parking prawl in the transmission. If in fact it is creeping, I would suspect the AWD transfer case and/or driveline. The guys that have removed the front driveshaft from the AWD system have reported that it will creep in park w/o the parking brake on.

i was always under the impression that bad u-joints will allow for "creeping." Just the little bit of play in the joints would allow a couple inches of post-park movement (?).

My explorer will move slightly after placing it in park and taking my foot off the brake. As far as I can tell this is normal. If the vehicle only moves forward or backwards a few inches then it is probably normal. If after the vehicle is stopped and continues to keep moviving downhill or something then you should probably have it checked out. I rarely use my P brake, I usually only use it when the front end is lifted by a jack, and when I am loading/unloading my jetski into the lake.

But if you doubt the common sense of a driver parking your X on a hill and not using the P brake, then don't let them take your X.

-Sean

Thanks everyone for the lightning fast replies. Sorry if I was a bit vague in my description but I think Engera and Jefe are on the right track.

With the nose facing downhill, it will creep slowly, without stopping. I know its supposed to roll a few inches and then stop but this keeps going, like the energizer bunny. ;)

I suspect it would do the same thing with the back end facing downhill but I haven't tried it.

I know its not a brake thing because I recently did the entire braking system (Brembo rotors, hawk pads, flush out of the brake fluid).

Thanks for putting me on the right track gang and I'll post my results whenever I find out the problem.

Great board! I think I'll go Explorer Elite to show my support!

jwrezz said:
It rolls up-hill while in park, or did you mean it rolls down hill either fwd or bkwd depending on the way it's facing? If it moves in park at all, some thing is certainly wrong. I never use the parking brake, and it's always where I last left it!
lots of information here :rolleyes:

Sounds like it isnt going all the way into park.
Be sure that you dont leave it idleing somewhere in Park or it may not be there when you return. It'll slip into R and take off.....

The pin theory is common...breakage/bendage

nascar_intimid said:
The pin theory is common...breakage/bendage
I would think if the parking prawl was not functioning it would roll quickly (like in neutral) rather than 'creep'.

I agree with Jefe. If your pin was bent/broken, it wouldnt creep, it would fly down a steep hill. it's a locking pawl, against a cog within the transmission case. there's no slippage, it's either in our out.

If it's creeping, make sure first of all that there's no gravel or dirt under either of the tires, that could make them slide. Remember, with a differential, you only need 1 tire to slip to start heading down the hill. When it's Icy here in Colorado, i have to park it in 4x4 sometimes to keep from finding my truck at the bottom of the driveway.

Good Luck. And here's the fix if it's none of those things...

Don't lend your truck out to anybody. :)
That way, you always know it'll be alright.

Indeed, it can't creep once the pawl is engaged. That should positively lock the transmission from turning. If it doesn't, I wonder if whatever the pin engages could be slipping in the trans itself? This is a weird one......

If it was something between the transfer case and tranny slipping, it should also do it on acceleration too.

And parking in 4x4 on a 95-up won't do any good either as the transfer case clutch loses power when you shut the key off, popping it back into 2wd.

My best suggestion until you can get a definitive answer would be to use the parking brake.

-Joe

Mine does this but it is because I currently have the front driveshaft out. The CV went bad and I haven't gotten around to getting a new one yet. I'd check first and make sure it has the front driveshaft installed. Then I'd check out the transfer case. It's definitely not supposed to do that.

My front drive shaft spins freely when in park. How could this cause the parking pin not to engage? It's the rear drive shaft that would spin the trans (or not if it's in park). Am I missing something?

jwrezz said:
My front drive shaft spins freely when in park. How could this cause the parking pin not to engage? It's the rear drive shaft that would spin the trans (or not if it's in park). Am I missing something?
Yup, you're 4WD, and he is AWD.

i bet he is missing the front driveshaft, front diffy problems or the driveshaft CV is messed up. I know all about the AWD setup and this sounds like it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

seanthenerd said:
My explorer will move slightly after placing it in park and taking my foot off the brake. As far as I can tell this is normal. If the vehicle only moves forward or backwards a few inches then it is probably normal. If after the vehicle is stopped and continues to keep moviving downhill or something then you should probably have it checked out. I rarely use my P brake, I usually only use it when the front end is lifted by a jack, and when I am loading/unloading my jetski into the lake.

But if you doubt the common sense of a driver parking your X on a hill and not using the P brake, then don't let them take your X.

-Sean
Good Call, either fix it or don't let anyone else touch it.

Back