• Register Today It's free!

Crisis - Water Pump Bolt Broke

shane0613

Reaction score
City, State
south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 5.0 V8 AWD XLT
1998 Explorer AWD 5.0 V8. I had to replace the radiator a week ago and my neighbor is a retired mechanic so he did it for me. It didn't take long to notice the water pump leaking. I dropped it off to my neighbor this morning with a new water pump. He had a hard time getting 2 of the nuts loose and ended up breaking one off. It looks like the one on the lower left. I wasn't with him and I am not very mechanically inclined.

I was laid off in last month and my fiancee was also. We have to share this vehicle. I have spent a small fortune the past 6 months on this truck replacing the starter, radiator, tires, spark plugs, and everything else. This guy says he hopes he can drill out the hole and put a tap in it and then possibly something he said is similar to a C clamp. Otherwise he will have to take the whole motor out. I talked to my dad (who told me not to do it and let this guy do it) and my dad said to tell him if he has to take the motor out to forget about it and we will junk it. I can't see junking this truck with all the new parts in it. I am not a kid btw, I just live beside my dad and dad will always be dad. I have spent the small amount of money I had saved & taxes on parts and other bills and do not have the money for a vehicle.

I am sure this guy is a decent mechanic and just made a mistake or the nut was fuzed to the bolt. I know he heated it and it wouldn't come off.

What should I do? I don't mind helping the guy take the motor out if it gets fixed. He has an engine hoist and all the tools. I feel if he broke it he should fix it. What he is talking about doing seems at best a temporary fix that would not hold up to high water pressure. Any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you search you will find several issues of broken water pump--timing cover bolts. They are a PITA at best to remove. I would not accuse him of breaking them.

He might be able to get the timing cover off, which may leave a long enough stud to grab with something.

You will need a set of new bolts, also, sit down when you price them.

You "should" be able to fix this with the engine in the truck. Good luck.

I agree it isn't his fault

My dad was saying that being its all aluminum now it is easier for this to happen. I know the guy is a good guy and that is why I am not upset at him at all. He has been very good with everything he has done for me and everyone else in tha hood. I didn't mean to sound so negative when I said he broke it he should fix it. I meant to say that I have plenty of free time right now and if it is the best way to fix it is to take the engine out I think the both of us could do it and of course I will pay him for it.

I am just hoping someone will have a mechanized broken bolt eating robot worm for sale on eBay in the neighborhood of 20 bucks that would make it easier to get that thing out. The truck has 250K on it and I got it for basically nothing. If it would work I would have him weld the dang thing on and hope it lasted another year. Times like these I wish I had learned more about engines. Thank goodness for this site though. I have always got the best advice from here for my truck and I have been able to fix the simpler things by coming here and reading. I've actually got a little better and haven't lost any finger tips yet :)

aluminum water pumps on iron engines have this very common problem at all the wetted bolts, especially to either side of the discharge poerts, this site and lots others are full of that exact problem,,, once water starts going thru there, u will get alum salts deposited between the bolt and body of the pump in the bolt bore, then when it heats the water cooks away leaving voids, next time it will do it again till thetre no more voids, that is one helacious grip,, one can only turn the nut ot bolt till something gives,, it is just as likely to be the bolt failure at the minor diameter if it is a studded bolt or the bolt head twists off, when that happens i try , hoping to save the core but lots of times just cut the body of the pump away, once that one bolt is seperated from the pump it usually just spins off from the block, its the bolt to alum fit that is frozen, not bolt to block,,cut the water pump away from the bolt till u can grab it with vice grips, u will lose ur watrer pump core,, u might be able to make your friend bite the bullet on one core or labor on one, but one thisdng is pretty much a given,, he will not be friendly about getting your cars in his garage any more,, if u think im completlely out of line just let me know, buck

Agree with above. Get the pump out and you should have enough stud left to grab and twist out. If not, drill and tap for a new stud.
If your neighbor isn't sure he can do it, have another shop/mechanic give you an est.

Also, sometimes it will break free if you apply torque in the direction of tightening. Try to get the bolt to "wiggle" back and forth, take time and it will come out. Use a vice grip , and tap that with a hammer in both directions.

if this doesn't get it moving, before you break it off, try welding a nut onto the bolt. The heat from welding will penetrate real deep, very quickly. This may also help to break it free.

IF there is any stud exposed, get a dremel with a cutoff disc (hopefully diamond based as opposed to the fiber ones) and "flatten" two "opposing surfaces" so that you can slide on a open end wrench. The "dremelling" will also heat up the bolt to help with the "release". Have used this technique lots especially where trying to get "flame" in a difficult area is impossible. Usually by the time you have flatten the two surfaces, the bolt almost turns by itself (lucky I guess). good luck.

Patience, and don't get salty and force it. That's the one thing I've learned when dealing with many frozen, rusted, broken bolts living in the rust-belt. I would file/grind a slight flat on either side, and heat it good with a torch and then touch a piece of candle wax to the stud. Grab it extra tight with a good pair of vice grips and give it a go.

I saw an old motorcycle mechanic do his to a bolt that had broke off flat with a motor case, that we couldn't get moving with a punch and hammer. We were going to drill and use an easy-out. He said to hold on a minute before drilling. With a minute of heat, and touching the stud with a piece of wax he was able to turn the bolt out with just a hardened pick. If that fails, I'd probably grind into the water pump, and eat the core charge.

Thank you all for the great responses. I don't think your assessment is out of line, Bud. Fortunately for me and him, is that this problem doesn't have a deadline. With being laid off I have plenty of time and I let him know that as well. I would rather spend a few days researching (waiting on your guys' input) than doing something that will make it harder. My main issue is that I don't understand all the terminology so when he is explaining that he may have to retap it, I had not a clue what that meant. I don't know a whole lot about much of what he says but I am learning little by little. I do wish I would have played a little more with the kid that put the briggs & stratton on his bicycle.
Appreciate all the suggestions and knowledge. I will post what happens to let you guys know how it went. Thank you all.

well now u have time to spend with that briggs kids except now he has a masters degree in briggs, if u listen to what he has to say, if u get him intersted in your problem, whether its dealing with your dad, lack of work, or just getting your ride fixed,, he will work harder for your advantage,, it has been my experience that when u get someone intresterd in your problem, he will devote more time and energy in solving that problem because now he learsn also, u have a unique opportunity to leanr how to deal with a problem u may be presented with many times in yoru lifetime,, or with situations that are similiar,(frozen bolts in alum castings) if you are confident in dealing with that, u are way ahead of our explorer game,, take a six pack or 12 pack of pepsi,root beer, hang out with him,, your and his life will be richer,, buck

Back