• Register Today It's free!

crooked in jersey

2many

Reaction score
City, State
Somerset County, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT AWD SOHC
i've read a few threads about the drivers side of the x being lower than the pass side. sure enough, when i checked mine (99 4 door w/ t-bolts removed and 2" rear blocks) the drivers side measured 29.5" to fender lip and pass side was 30.25" (w/ gas tank full). i was thinking i need to put the drivers side t-bolt back in and crank it up to try to level out the truck w/ half a tank of gass. unfortumately, i did not take any measurements before lowering it, so i don't know if ford ships em out "crooked" or if it was from tt. let me know what you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What does it matter? if you want it level put the bolts back in and level it out.

useless reply...

Just level it if it bothers you being crooked.

useless reply? you wanted to know what we thought. I think if you want it to be level you should put the bolts back in and level it out the way you want it. It's not rocket science..

maybe the trash under the streets is starting to get mushy in spots after all this rain....sure it's level? ;)

let me clarify my inquiry - are they level from the factory or not?

Doubt it. They won't spend the time/money having a guy stand there and measure each one making tiny changes to each one.

All Explorers came from the factory lower on one side about 1.375". No one knows exactly why, that is just the way Ford liked it.

Mine was lower on the top side than the bottom side. I don't know why either.

wouldn't that mess up the handling? i suppose you could make left turns faster than right ones though (ha ha).

2many said:
wouldn't that mess up the handling? i suppose you could make left turns faster than right ones though (ha ha).
Wedge adjustment. Maybe track bar.

Doug said:
useless reply? you wanted to know what we thought. I think if you want it to be level you should put the bolts back in and level it out the way you want it. It's not rocket science..

wow, i stand corrected; izackary has defined truley useless replies.

i was hoping to get info to help understand if the tt made it crooked, or if they are like that from the factory. i could understand the front being uneven from the tt, but the back was out the same amount. can it be "corrected" (i.e. front and rear leveled side to side) by just cranking up one t-bolt? is it worth the effort to fine tune the suspension settings?

WannaBeRobb said:
All Explorers came from the factory lower on one side about 1.375".

Wrong. Its closer to 1.3749275

Dude: this is how all explorers, mountaineers and ranger edges came from the factory. The bolts are there for adjustment as suspention settles. If it was perfect you think they would put the bolts in?

WannaBeRobb said:
All Explorers came from the factory lower on one side about 1.375". No one knows exactly why, that is just the way Ford liked it.
Ford isn't building a precision product here 2many. They Don't Care If It Leans to One Side or Not. But in my observations Most Explorers are High in the Front and Lean twords the drivers side. I guess they didn't have the Torque settings for the TTBars Equal on the Assembly Line.

HR57 said:
Ford isn't building a precision product here 2many. They Don't Care If It Leans to One Side or Not. But in my observations Most Explorers are High in the Front and Lean twords the drivers side. I guess they didn't have the Torque settings for the TTBars Equal on the Assembly Line.
The most common reason for this is (a) rear leaf springs sagging over time which causes the front to appear higher, and (b) the entire gas tank is on the driver side which adds a considerable enough amount of weight to tilt the truck slightly, especially on softened aged leaf springs.

i indicated in another thread that i measured the wheel well opening heights on a couple of stock 2nd gen xlt's w/ p235/75-15's. the fronts were basically 33" and rears 32". mine has the pass side t-bolt removed, the driver side t-bolt set to level it out (cranked up pretty far) and 1-1/2" blocks in the rear. my front wheel wells now both measure 31" and the rears 30-1/2". i am pretty happy w/ this setup and will see if a shop can get the alignment set to zero camber.

Back