Cross Country Towing Suggestions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cross Country Towing Suggestions...

Hi:

I'm in the market for a trailer to tow cross country. ('97 V8, 52k, Auto, AWD, with Class III/IV) I'll be towing a 600cc motorcycle and some storage totes.

I'm thinking about buying one of these: (5' X 8' or 6.5' X 10")
http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/trailers/atv_utility/utility/utility.html

What should I look out for?
Is this a dumb idea?
Tow with OD on or Off?
How well would it tow?
Anything I'm overlooking?

You'll be fine, just make sure you use a class III or above trailer hitch and not your rear bumper.. Also don't forget to get a brake controller.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Can I ask what a brake controller does? My grandfather used to have one on his F-250 that he towed a huge 30'+ 5th wheel with, but I've never used one.

a trailer brake controller takes power from the brake light and then monitors the pitch front to back of the vehicle to determine the amount of power to provide the electric trailer brakes therefore stopping you and you trailer together.:biggthump

Hi:

What should I look out for?
Is this a dumb idea?
Tow with OD on or Off?
How well would it tow?
Anything I'm overlooking?

Your truck is well equipped to tow much more than that trailer will ever hold. Those single axle utility trailers are extremely handy, especially for an suv- its like a truck bed.

Depending on load, you could to in OD, just depends. I pulled a Honda nighthawk 750 on my trailer on flat land in OD. If your are going up hills or in heavy traffic, I would suggest you lock it out of OD. The drum in the transmission is prone to failure if you overload it in OD.

If the axle on the trailer is far enough back, it should tow great. I alway like a trailer that has the axle a bit behind half the length of the main part. Further back if it has a ramp or something heavy on the back. Proper tongue weight is key to a good pulling trailer.

For a trailer as small as you want to pull, no trailer brake controller is needed. Just allow extra braking distance.

Back