Crossbars for 2001 Sport

Abraxsis

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hi All,

Im want to get crossbars for my new Sport but I cant figure out what to get. Id like to get stock ones but my Sport doesnt have the tracks inside the parallel rack. Did the 01 Sports even have this option? Do they attach to the parallel rack somehow instead of in a track? Id much rather spring for 50.00 crossbars from the junk yard, than 150.00 sets from Yakima or Thule.

Any Suggestions?

Abraxsis

Was looking for the same thing for our used 2001 Sport also as the rails without the crossbars are pretty useless. I bought a cheap set ($25) of universal crossbars on Ebay that would not work because of the minimal clearance between the rails and the roof.

I went to Ford Accessories and bought a factory set of cross bars for the 2001 Spot and Sport Trax. They cost me $130 and were designed for the application. I don't know what the regular Explorer used in 2001 (I know what you are talking about with the tracks because that's how they worked on my Taurus wagon), but the Sport cross bars attach with thumb screws and clamp onto the rails top and bottom.

I'm happy with these knowing that they are OEM. If you are going to look in the junk yards, would suggest that you find a Sport or Sport Trax so you can see the correct style.

Back