• Register Today It's free!

Crossbars idea

jamie8470

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 V6 4x4 XLT
I see the stock crossbars are rated at 100lbs, but if I were to put a second set of crossbars up on the sidebars and then mounted more weight to them would I be able to support more things on the roof? In essence I'm asking what is the weight capacity of the side bars. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see the stock crossbars are rated at 100lbs, but if I were to put a second set of crossbars up on the sidebars and then mounted more weight to them would I be able to support more things on the roof? In essence I'm asking what is the weight capacity of the side bars. Thank you.
yes you could add more weight by distributing it more evenly with more crossbars. but there comes a point where the weight, no matter how evenly distributed is too much. how much are you planning to cary? one thing about the stock xbars (at least on the 2g) is that they flex a bit, have yakima crossbars on this one since they dont dlex and feel stronger.

yes you could add more weight by distributing it more evenly with more crossbars. but there comes a point where the weight, no matter how evenly distributed is too much. how much are you planning to cary? one thing about the stock xbars (at least on the 2g) is that they flex a bit, have yakima crossbars on this one since they dont dlex and feel stronger.

My plan for the roof is pretty insane.

Roof basket on the stock crossbars (weighs 40lbs)
Second set of raised crossbars (8 lbs?)
Kyack J bars on the second set of crossbars (12lbs)
Kyack on the J bars (36lbs)
Roof cargo carrier on the second set of crossbars (30lbs + 50lbs of cargo?)
Whatever I can cram on the roof basket under the second set of crossbars (gas tank, etc.) 40lbs?
Light bar on the front of the roof basket (5lbs)

at least 200lbs total

I changed my mind, my plan was stupid.

I'm thinking I'm going to just get some aftermarket crossbars and put my kayak J bars and a rocketbox pro 11 on them and call it a day.
Maybe pack a gas tank if it can clip on underneath or something

52b67017e8b66d94e29b5e49777d6234.png

This is what I ended up doing.
Aftermarket crossbars rated to carry 160lbs.
Thule Force Sport XT (weighs 32lbs)
Kyack J bars (12lbs)

With the boat on the and, say, 40 lbs of weight in the cargo the weight comes out to ~130lbs. Not bad at all.

Now my question how much weight the roof rails themselves can support (the rails that the crossbars connect to)? How much weight can I put on the roof before risking ruining my exploder by denting in the entire roof?

View attachment 438052
This is what I ended up doing.
Aftermarket crossbars rated to carry 160lbs.
Thule Force Sport XT (weighs 32lbs)
Kyack J bars (12lbs)

With the boat on the and, say, 40 lbs of weight in the cargo the weight comes out to ~130lbs. Not bad at all.

Now my question how much weight the roof rails themselves can support (the rails that the crossbars connect to)? How much weight can I put on the roof before risking ruining my exploder by denting in the entire roof?

I'm no expert by any means but my move would be to play it safe altogether; if you have a max cap of 200 for the bars (as an example), I wouldn't push it past 185-190. If that makes sense. Gotta remember the roof itself will already be "caving in" under the weight and be mindful with the traveling speed not exceeding around 75 (which I'm sure you are already, just making sure).

Works well enough for me. 👍

I ended up putting the J bars on the stock cross bars while the cargo carrier is mounted on the after market bars to better distribute the weight and bring the kayak a bit closer to the roof itself

4b14ffb6bc33ef030d9201364bcbdeb3.png

Works well enough for me. 👍

I ended up putting the J bars on the stock cross bars while the cargo carrier is mounted on the after market bars to better distribute the weight and bring the kayak a bit closer to the roof itself

View attachment 439296

Glad to hear it worked out ! She's cleeeaaaaannnn

I have an update on this and also another question.

So, the kayak J bars I had on there weren't the best. They snapped and wouldn't hold their tension while I was making the drive to Tucson. Thankfully they kyack did not completely fall off the vehicle and it did not damage it either. I was able to get out though the window and deal with it. I had to ditch the kayak on the side of the highway and come back to pick it up later. I then sold the damn thing because I wasn't using it enough and it's been a pain in butt anyway.

This strategy of mine, the roof cargo carrier and J bars, actually does work out well - just make sure you get good quality folding J bars not the junk I bought. 😅

So now I have an open spot on my roof and I'm thinking a hi lift would be great, I'm just have no idea how to mount it. I'm thinking about using these directly on the cross bars:
Amazon product ASIN B003CEODQIHowever, I've never seen anyone mount a hi lift this way and I just have a feeling that it's not going to work out (they look like they're designed more for bumper bars, not cross bars). Think I could get away with this? Or maybe there's a better way?

Another idea is fit a skinny roof basket alongside the cargo carrier like this one:
Amazon product ASIN B08GK5L55QOnly issue is the extra weight, 40lb roof carrier, 20lb roof basket, 40lb hi lift only leaves me with only maybe 50lbs of cargo to put in the carrier and basket (I have 165 lbs to work with in theory based on the load rating of the aftermarket cross bars). Unless maybe I can mount the basket to the stock cross bars which actually might be possible looking at how long the screw u-bar thingy is in this picture:
827bb81c8bc57f6ccc159e720b3ab9f1.png

Thanks ♥

I thought the entire roof rack was limited to 100 pounds?

I thought the entire roof rack was limited to 100 pounds?

The stock Ford crossbars, yes. However the aftermarket bars I bought were advertised as having a load rating of 165lbs. I still have those stock crossbars on as well so I can distribute weight between the two sets.

I just need to figure out how to mount a hi lift at this point.

I think the weight rating is for the entire roof rack system, not just the crossbars. I don’t think you can increase the rating with other crossbars.

I’d carry the hi lift in a receiver hitch. I’d want as little weight on the roof as possible.

I think the weight rating is for the entire roof rack system, not just the crossbars. I don’t think you can increase the rating with other crossbars.
What makes you think that? I hope I don't come off as annoying I just genuinely would like to know.

I want save the hitch to carry a motorcycle

I have an update on this and also another question.

So, the kayak J bars I had on there weren't the best. They snapped and wouldn't hold their tension while I was making the drive to Tucson. Thankfully they kyack did not completely fall off the vehicle and it did not damage it either. I was able to get out though the window and deal with it. I had to ditch the kayak on the side of the highway and come back to pick it up later. I then sold the damn thing because I wasn't using it enough and it's been a pain in butt anyway.

This strategy of mine, the roof cargo carrier and J bars, actually does work out well - just make sure you get good quality folding J bars not the junk I bought. 😅

So now I have an open spot on my roof and I'm thinking a hi lift would be great, I'm just have no idea how to mount it. I'm thinking about using these directly on the cross bars:
Amazon product ASIN B003CEODQIHowever, I've never seen anyone mount a hi lift this way and I just have a feeling that it's not going to work out (they look like they're designed more for bumper bars, not cross bars). Think I could get away with this? Or maybe there's a better way?

Another idea is fit a skinny roof basket alongside the cargo carrier like this one:
Amazon product ASIN B08GK5L55QOnly issue is the extra weight, 40lb roof carrier, 20lb roof basket, 40lb hi lift only leaves me with only maybe 50lbs of cargo to put in the carrier and basket (I have 165 lbs to work with in theory based on the load rating of the aftermarket cross bars). Unless maybe I can mount the basket to the stock cross bars which actually might be possible looking at how long the screw u-bar thingy is in this picture:
View attachment 441413

Thanks ♥
I use the same style mounts for the hi-jack

20230424_200427.jpg

Apparently the complete rating is 200 pounds for the roof.

Quick update on this:

1) The folding kayak j-bars snapped due to the crosswinds wind on I-17, thankfully the kayak didn't damage my ex or fall completely off the truck. I left the boat on the freeway and picked it up a few hours later. Sold it. I'll just rent them in the future if I really want to row a boat again. Don't buy cheap amazon j-bars - don't buy folding ones for that matter. 😬

2) I did a stupid and smashed the Thule Spot roof carrier into a mesquite tree. A piece of it snapped off, no fixing that... $700 blown out of my butt. 🤦‍♀️
It's a good roof cargo carrier, though. I'd recommend.

3) I got a Arksen 64" cargo rack with their waterproof bag, sprayed it with anti-rust (it STILL rusts even after that...), and mounted a 5L jerry can to it. The rack is on the after market crossbars, so I feel comfortable loading it up with my entire wardrobe. It's a fantastic set-up and I'd highly recommend going this route. The hi-lift mounts will NOT fit the bars of this rack, so I ended up just getting the smaller 32" version and it fits perfectly behind the rear seats. 🤘

Love to see pics of your new setup. Can't help but wonder if the rack would still rust if you sprayed it down with bed liner?

Love to see pics of your new setup. Can't help but wonder if the rack would still rust if you sprayed it down with bed liner?
Screenshot_20230915-092303.png

Hmm I'll have to give it a try!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats the orange thing?

Back