crossthreaded fan clutch to water pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

crossthreaded fan clutch to water pump

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
Hello,

I bought the 2008 X EB 4.0 4x4 used. I just rebuilt the front end and installed a rebuilt trans with a trans cooler.

I need to change my clutch fan and water pump. It's making a ton of noise. I have proper tools and I can't get the fan clutch lose.

I was thinking of removing the water pump, fan clutch w/fan as one unit. I will reuse the fan blades.

I let the nut on the fan clutch to the water pump soak overnight with Kroil. I hope it helps. I'm going to give it another shot of unscrewing the fan clutch before I pull the water pump etc. as one unit.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eddie -

Don't remove the water pump. Get the right tools and it will break loose. I had to do replace the clutch, and also could not get it to budge. That was few years ago but I recall I fabricated one wrench from a flat piece of iron and drilled 2 holes that aligned with 2 of the 4 bolts on the pulley. Then, I had an old cheap Chinese open box 30 mm wrench or something of that size and I grinded it open to fit tight on the big nut. And then just give it a good blow and it will get loose.

Purchased the correct tools = 36mm and a holder. It worked. Previous owner(s) used an air hammer to break the nut loose. The pressure from the air hammer dented the nut tight against the threads of the water pump. I put it on tight. I also used some anti-seize on the threads - I am awaiting parts to replace all the hoses and the water pump.

Thanks for the advise. The tool I rented didn't work. I had to buy the Ford tool set in order to remove the nut. It worked. My elbows are sore. But my X is back and running. It's actually raining in LA today so I had to stay in the carport. I'm sure you'll not provide me with much sympathy originating out of Rockland, NY. Had a three year job in NYC. It was a long 36 months!!

I will try to upload photos to show you what damage was done.

Here are some photos of my mangled clutch fan.

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

Now I see what happened, no wonder it did not want to come off.
NY/NJ area is not easy to live in :)
Weather and traffic wise.
In the winter, when it rains in NYC, in Rockland, we get a foot of snow and I am only 30 miles north.
And in the past 2 weeks we had swings from -6 to +50. Kids go from t-shirts to winter jackets in one week, or vice versa.

The kids love it... The transmission shop that just worked on my trans was clearly not pleased with the rust they had to deal with. This is good migraine weather in the NE too.

I miss the weather change sometimes...I discovered we do have seasons in CA - (Wind, Fire, Earthquake, Floods.)

Back