Crown King, AZ '09 Dec. 18,19,20 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crown King, AZ '09 Dec. 18,19,20

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far, I am the only one in my rig.. So I have plenty of empty seats.

~Mark

...This is the 4week countdown notice...

...Get your hoopties together....:D

Ouch...

Four believed dead in Crown King vehicle accident
by Jordan Johnson - Nov. 25, 2009 07:24 PM
The Arizona Republic
Four people from a church group are believed to be dead in an accident near Crown King, where an SUV fell over the side of a road Wednesday, officials said.

A helicopter and crews from the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office were called to the scene of an accident on Cow Creek Road at approximately 1:30 p.m., Yavapai County spokesman Dwight D'Evelyn said.

The Chevrolet SUV apparently went off the side of the road and fell about 100 feet, D'Evelyn said.

A helicopter from the Department of Public Safety reported four victims in the accident, and crews were still trying to reach the vehicle on Wednesday afternoon, D'Evelyn sa

...Wow...That is definitely sad...:(

...I found these and thought I would post while we wait for Dannyboy to tell us he's ready to rock and roll..:D

The guy from AZ Offroad recovery got his truck stolen and I offered to help him out when/where I could (not having a winch is making that hard for me to do).

I may be part of the recovery of this truck tomorrow or the next day with the superduty. And yes, 4 did die, a 60 year old and his 16 year old son, another man in his 60s and a man in his 70s.

Cow Creek Road isn't even part of the main trail. People are foolish, they pull off to the side of the road on the downhill to let people by and the road gives way. As a friendly reminder, never part with the road on the downhill side, use the uphill area to pull off and let people pass you on the inside. I think these guys were probably trying to back down a section of the trail and got into trouble though from what I have been told about the recovery.

A few reminders about the Crown King trail.

The trail starts in the desert where temperatures range from highs in the 70s to lows in the 40s. We travel up to 5700 ft where the day time highs are in the 50s and the night time temps dip into the 20s.

I suggest carrying warm clothes along just in case something happens that keeps us on the trail late. During the last trip I took to Crown King, it was beautiful weather in the desert, but snowing by the time we got to Crown King.

While the trail isn't that difficult it is VERY remote. Be sure to carry a good spare tire. On one of our runs a participant blew two tires on this trail. Make sure you rig is in as good of shape as possible. Bring all the food and water you'll need for the day.

If anyone else has something to add, please do.

Today is maintenance day for the Pumpkin:exporange:hammer:

What a day :( Got the doors on, lubed all the grease fittings, found that the fitting for the rear axle vent had come loose which was the cause behind all the grease all over the axle tube,de-greased the rear axle, checked as many nuts and bolts as I could get my hands on, installed two new Optima yellow tops, and took it for a cruise.

When I got home I let the engine cool off then I hosed it down trying to get as much dust and crud off as I could. When I restarted it my alternator light was on and the voltmeter was pegged towards 18 volts. Found a bad connector in the three wire connector. The center connector is screwed up. Now I either need to find a new connector and splice it in, or remove the connector altogether and find some mini crimp connectors to do the job.

Rick, if its still the factory style connectors, Dorman makes a replacement set of connectors.. (in the help section at the parts store)..

~Mark

Checker and Autozone are worthless... Neither had the connector, and neither can get the connector.

I'll try NAPA on Monday.

Checker and Autozone are worthless... Neither had the connector, and neither can get the connector.

I'll try NAPA on Monday.

Its an 85843. CSK auto can get it (shipped to you, not stocked, order it from cskauto.com) and so can Rockauto. Your other options are carquest and napa..

~Mark

Should be this one:
128430.jpg

Napa P/N: RAY 1391L
$11.99

Yeah, mine is different than what Show posted.

Mark, your pic didn't load.

Dorman-85843-rw-49386-59439.jpg

This work?

They must not allow offsite linking. I looked at the pic though and it appears to be the correct one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered it. Thanks:chug:

Back