Cruise Control and Lane Keeping / Lane Centering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control and Lane Keeping / Lane Centering

DASEXPLORER

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 & 2020 Limited 4WD
I don’t believe this has always been the case, I want to say this has only started after a software update a month or so ago.

When Adaptive Cruise Control is active the Lane Assist is active. I have only “Alert” selected in the Drive Assist options. Pushing the button on the turn signal arm changes the width of the green bars on either side of center display.

I don’t believe the Drive Assist was automatically turned on with Adaptive Cruise, before.
I like the Adaptive Cruise function, but don’t care for the Drive Assist Lane Control.

Can anyone confirm their system functions the same or not?

The dealership was clueless as usual, for questions like this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I don't have the Explorer I can only confirm that with the Aviator, Adaptive Cruise Control does not automatically engage Lane Centering. Reading the Explorer Owner's Manual, it indicates that in order to switch Lane Centering ON, you must have Adaptive Cruise Control ON. That would seem to indicate that it does not happen automatically.

Peter

I have the 2020 ST, I have Lane Assist On without the Adaptive Cruise Control. So we do Not need to have an active adaptive cruise control engaged to a activate the lane keep assist. I have my lake keep assist (on Alert) all the time and I actually never use any kind of cruise on any vehicle (I am too old fashioned I think).

If you engage adaptive cruise control Without the lane assist on you do not have lane centering with the adaptive cruise control. If you have the lane assist On or Turn it on with adaptive cruise control you will have the lane centering on. I use the lane centering all the time when I engage adaptive cruise control, it works great!
TBill

I have the 2020 ST, I have Lane Assist On without the Adaptive Cruise Control. So we do Not need to have an active adaptive cruise control engaged to a activate the lane keep assist. I have my lake keep assist (on Alert) all the time and I actually never use any kind of cruise on any vehicle (I am too old fashioned I think).
FYI, the words "lane assist" are not in the Manual. I think you are referring to "Lane Keeping". As for Lane Centering, the Manual shows;
"Note: Adaptive cruise control must be on
before you can switch lane centering on."

I use Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control all the time. I still find it somewhat unnerving when you wait for it to bring the vehicle to a complete stop behind the vehicle in front.😅

Peter

Hi Peterk9 and TBill, if you mean "lane Keeping" with the stuff where it helps you stay within a lane with the thing going red when you hit the white lines on the road and it either warns or helps you come back in to the lane (depending on your setting) then yes, I have that on all the time.

And regarding the adaptive cruise control on, do you mean that is should be activated like you have the cruise control on while driving on highway or just selecting the adaptive option in the settings in the infotainment screen but you are actually not using cruise control at that point of time.

Lane centering is which actually steers the steering well is only activated when using cruise control. The lane centering dose what you described when the cruise cont is off.

As TBill mentioned, the ACC must be switched ON / activated.

Peter

tbill, peterk9, in that case, our vehicle's software seems to be working differently. I just tested it this morning and I am able to use the lane centering which actually aids in steering me back in to the lane is working without the cruise control being on. I usually only keep it on alert where it vibrates the steering wheel but now for testing purpose I changed it to aid mode and then took my hand of the wheel for a while, it started going near the outside line and the car automatically steered me back in to the lane without cruise control being on. Interesting, I am Not taking it to the dealer yet because whatever I need works anyway.

I believe the issue here is in the terminology that may have been my fault. What TBill and I referred to in the last posts was Lane Centering. What you are talking about is Lane Keeping which can be used without ACC being turned ON. My apologies to all.

Peter

Thanks Peterk9, that clarifies it. Thanks for taking the time.

tbill, peterk9, in that case, our vehicle's software seems to be working differently. I just tested it this morning and I am able to use the lane centering which actually aids in steering me back in to the lane is working without the cruise control being on. I usually only keep it on alert where it vibrates the steering wheel but now for testing purpose I changed it to aid mode and then took my hand of the wheel for a while, it started going near the outside line and the car automatically steered me back in to the lane without cruise control being on. Interesting, I am Not taking it to the dealer yet because whatever I need works anyway.
Correct. Yours is working perfectly as you described. My "keeping" went out three months ago and Ford still can't figure it out despite asking Ford HQ twice for help. The centering with adaptive cruise works fine...go figure. Ford has replaced to computer modules and the front camera behind the mirror...still nothing.

I believe Lane Keeping and Lane Centering are two independent features and that is why Lane Centering is still working.

Peter

I believe Lane Keeping and Lane Centering are two independent features and that is why Lane Centering is still working.

Peter
That is correct. Centering is with adaptive cruise...keeping is without adaptive cruise. Same camera behind mirror, but different function.

Back