Cruise control steering wheel switch replacement | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control steering wheel switch replacement

I have 95 beater and 01 going to church car..lol..anyways the lights in 95 worked and not so in the 01.
Switched them around in like 45 mins max.
Now I have green dash lights and blue cruise switch lights but at least they work.
Would not have tried it if not for this forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cruise Control repairs

A lot of good info here. I'm getting braver every time I read this thread. One question, though, is it talking about replacing thr cruise control switch indicator lights, or the entire switch.

Thank you

boB Nicholson

Let me start by saying that (1) this really should take you only 30 minutes; (2) to make clear, you do NOT have to take the steering wheel off unless you need to replace the wiring harness as well as the switches; and (3) if you haven't done this type of thing before, read on to learn how NOT to turn a 30 minute project into a 12 hour one. The good news is that we made every mistake we could, and we still got it all back together and working . . . it just took a while.

First, the new switches come with the wiring harness attached. You have to take them off so that you can do the easy replace. I strongly suggest doing this before you start working on removing the ones in the car -- it's much easier to see what you are doing and then you know what you're trying to do with the ones that you can't see as well.

Note that it's pretty easy to screw up a connector in pulling it out of the switch. As one of the other posters noted, they seem impossible to get apart and my husband was convinced that we'd gotten a new design of the part that would not come apart. You need to work slowly and carefully, giving a steady pull and not a jerk. We found that my smaller hands were better suited to this than my husband's -- I've also done more mucking around with computer connections than my husband and am more familiar with this type of a connector. It took about a minute per connector to get apart, just slowly working it loose.

Second, it's very easy to reconnect the wires upside down. They snap right in, just like it's put together correctly. This is a MAJOR flaw in the design of the part. The plastic ridges on the connector go up (that is, towards the driver) and the single wire that goes to the horn goes towards the top of the steering wheel. This is true on both the left and right switches.

If you get a connector upside down, the exact symptoms will vary depending on which connector is wrong. Your first clue may be the horn honking constantly when you reconnect the battery (MNGohper said this was particularly startling in a closed garage!). For us, the green "Speed Cont" light on the dash began flashing when we turned the car on, and the "OFF" button on the switch honked the horn. Needless to say, the cruise control does not work.

Third, this is one of the projects where a digital camera can come in very handy. I HIGHLY recommend that you take digital photos at every step of this repair. Every time you're about to pull a connector off or take a screw out, take a photo first. You may not need them all, but we would have killed for a few good photos -- the photos above from aldive were all we had and while really helpful, we needed a few more.

Fourth, if you're like us and screw up a connector on the wiring harness and then end up having to take the wheel off to run the new one, be sure to take photos of how the cables are run around the wheel. And note that when you put it all back together, you have to make sure that no cables are pinched.

You'll also have to remove the right horn sensor within the wheel as the wire runs between it and the wheel itself. It's pretty self-evident. Not realizing that we only needed one off, we took both off and then wondered if there was a difference between the left and right. Not that we could tell, and this was not the cause of our problems.

If you have to take the wheel off, note that the wheel puller for the Explorer is not the standard one. We borrowed a wheel puller from AutoZone (what an awesome service -- $20 deposit refunded when you bring it back) and had to jerry-rig it to work on this wheel (if forced to do it this way -- all other stores in a small town closed for the weekend -- you can do it with a couple of big wing nuts to serve as claws to go under the "pull" areas of the wheel).

Finally, if you're like my husband and want to test the installation before putting the air bag back in place, you can. It should work perfectly without the air bag module (you'll see a yellow air bag icon on the dash, though). When we had the connector wrong, we wondered if our problems were because of the air bag not being in place. That was not the problem.

Don't let this info scare you off doing the project. It would have been a quick and easy job if we'd paid attention to these things in the first place. If you routinely do a lot of work on your car's electrical system, you may not need this info, but it's the first time we've tried something like this. We needed more detailed instructions! Many thanks to those who helped us figure out what our problem was -- that's why I'm posting here, to pay the help forward.

Thank u for the iformative post!!!!!!
My horn was sounding off and cruise light was flashing!!!!!!!!!!
Left connector was upside down :{
Any way u rock!!!!
Thanks again
Jess 2001 explorer

1/7/2014 1998 Explorer Sport
Thanks to everyone that posted here.
I ordered the switches from Amazon, $80 included shipping and tax

Followed the directions here exactly,

disconnected the negative and positive posts on the battery
waited 15 minutes
removed the plastic pop out bolt covers on the column
removed the two bolts on the steering column
set aside the center air bag horn switch without disconnecting
removed the on/off switch first and ground (two screws)
used the .010 gap gauge on the rear of the switch to removed the plug
plugged the wires into the new switch and reattached
did the same on the right side for the resume switch
replaced center air bag/horn component
reversed all steps
reconnected battery positive side first

wella, done deal, all works perfect, switch 5928 is green like the other instrumentation lights and cruise, horn, all works

entire process including the 15 minute wait after disconnecting the battery was 30 minutes

Thanks again, would not have attempted without the info posted here

Too much $$$

Those button sets cost too much money and my wheel leather was shot anyway so I replaced my 98 Xplorer wheel with a 2000 Limited wheel. Took some swapping out of plug ends but I got it working like it should and the best thing is I got a great leather wheel & AB for $75 bucks shipped...;)

Okay, I have a '98 Explorer, with dead switches. Took it to a mechanic who said the switches needed to be replaced, for about $250, labor included. Told him to hold off, and now that I have the truck back the switches were loose and finally fell off the steering wheel. I noticed the pins and the plugs, and thought I could just replace the switches by getting new ones and just plugging them in, but the first thing I found is that ther mechanic apparently snapped off the little "ears" on the pins that lock the switches in.

Now this isn't a biggie, as if I have to, I'll glue the babies back in. But I'm wondering, after reading these threads, if I have to remove all the hardware to do the job right. It looks like the switches should just slide in, but you guys are saying that the pins have to lock into the plugs. So I guess I'll have to pull everything.

I do know that the cruise works, because before I took it to the mechanic, the switches were sluggish when warm and non-working when it got cold, with no "squishy" feeling when pressed. But everything worked until he disassembled it.

Will the '98 dis-assembly work like the '99 and up?

Well, I hope to purchase new switches for this job from Amazon. Using my VIN, Ford says the correct part # is SW-5928. Do you know if this includes the base that the switches mount into? Since the small latch posts were broken when my mechanic tried to remove the switches, I'd like to make sure the whole assembly is repaired. I won't need the harness, and I know that the cruise control worked prior to the removal of the defective switches.

HAven't heard back from you guys, so I hope that this thread isn't dead.

Update: Excellent video on how to do this: http://youtu.be/VNsQKbmZfig But going by what I have read up here, I would be a little more careful in pulling those cables off.

Can I just remove the switches all together. I never use them and I don't want to spend $92 just for a cosmetic upgrade. What would happen if I removed them?

Thanks

I just got my new switches from Amazon. I tried feeler gauge, guitar pick and swearing before I got the connectors off. What took me the most time was figuring out which side of the connector had the lip.

When you look at the switch and harness from the side, there is a shoulder on the connector. One shoulder is longer (deeper?wider?) than the other. This is the side that has the lip. I used a 0.010 gauge. My other suggestion is to point out that the lip is the entire width (all 7 wires wide) of the plug. Take that I nto account when you're working on it.

I won't be able to get to it for a few days while I work up the courage to (following the instructions above) pull the air bag which, from all I've read, should, instead of saying "Ford" should be stencilled "Front toward enemy!"

follow the steering column down under the dash; Look for and disconnect the yellow-sleeved wiring connector. Also disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes before attempting to remove air bag.

When I mentioned replacing my cruise switches to my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor, he also suggested disconnecting the battery, but also suggested pushing the brake pedal to "use up" any leftover electrical voltage in the electrical system...

Finished!

Okay, I got my new switches in, tested everything out, and everything works fine.

I have one more hint to offer anyone else doing this: (after taking off the airbag) If you don't care about the old switches, instead of trying to take the connectors off of them, pry off the top plastic (with the writing on it) from the switch assemblies.Once you've done this, you can pry the circuit board up and out of the switch assembly fairly easily. This will release the connector without you having to do the disconnect hassle.

Even though my switch plastics had deteriorated to the point where they couldn't be pushed at all, they pried apart with ease. The circuit board lifted right out, disconnecting the wires as it went. Note that this will probably ruin the old switch, but if you're replacing it, that probably doesn't matter.

[MENTION=121458]lare[/MENTION], that is kinda what I did on mine. My switch covers were in mint condition, just the right switch had a broken mount tab. I pulled some used ones from the junkyard, took those apart, took everything out, put my circuit boards in, and put my switch covers on. That way, still have my good covers, and no worry about having the wrong illumination color.

To those who want to follow the swap out idea, be warned that with cover removal, there might be issues with the removal itself, or issues with trying to reinstall the covers.

Source for Cruise control button covers

Hi all this is my first forum post...98 XLT 5.0 AWD.
Has anyone found a source for just the rubber button covers.
My switches under the covers work fine it's just the covers that are old and brittle.
Hate to spend $80 for complete switch assembly when I just need new covers.

FYI I FOUND WAY TO REPAIR COVERS THAT ARE CRACKED....will post picks soon!

I just replaced my switches today with new genuine MotorCraft items, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. It would have been a lot harder if I hadn't read this thread first, so thanks everyone! Next job - replacing the timing chain tensioners, so wish me luck! Cheers, Terry. ;D

To let forum know of another success....
Just replaced my cruse control switches in my 2005 Sport Trac today. Thanks to everyone who posted in the forum. The hint about the feeler gages worked for disconnecting the new switches from the harness, but I had to basically destroy each old switch fronts & circuit boards with needle nose pliers to get them loose from the existing harness. Not too big a deal. Followed all safety precautions as described in this posting, no new problems. Did have some difficulty after hooking up the battery, the ignition switch did not want to unlock. A few tense seconds passed & then all dash lights & wipers, radio turned on, I guess the computer resetting. Then switch unlocked, all systems working & test drive ok too. Thanks again for this site, saved some $$$. Amazon was source for switch harness assy. for $83.00
.."G"

Great thread. Thanks to all who posted.

Did anyone have an issue when putting the air bag module back in the steering wheel? Mine just doesn't seem to sit right….leaving a small gap around the perimeter. Is there a specific way this is supposed to go back in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Airbag module gap

Seems like my reinstall had a noticeable gap. I thought it was larger than original, but finally left it alone . I had forgotten about it until this post. I think
I would leave it alone. As I was reinstalling the airbag module, I tried several on-off re-positions, but eventually left it alone & finished it.....Still better than paying several hundred dollars for someone else to leave the gap if it is more than factory !.....G

Back