Cruise control won't set | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control won't set

Cruise Inop

If I understand you correctly, you mean that the switch tested OK... basically it has continuity.... I kind of figured that cause your dash light comes on. Although it is probably a good idea to replace the switch (I haven't yet... me dummy plus cash squeezed), your problem is probably in your control module / linkage to the throttle system.... or possibly your clutch position switch. One small question... does your light go out and act "normally" when you clutch or depress your brake when you are going down the road with cc "on" and "activated" according to its "thinking"????

As for others, if your light doesn't come on or only comes on briefly, it is likely you have switch problems, beit, the pressure switch, the BOO, the clutch position, or the activation switch/wiring in the steering. IF your light comes on and stays on BUT reacts normally to brake depresses, clutching etc, then it is likely you have a linkage issue between the cc servo and the throttle system.

Budwich, Thank's for pointing me in the right direction. I felt that since the starter would not engage to crank the engine unless I had the clutch pedal depressed i was all good with the (CPP). Clutch Pedal Position Switch.
Wrong!! It seems as you mentioned it will also deactivate the speed control system (CC) when the clutch pedal is depressed. I did not realize that?

You see the PO had the clutch replaced a month before my purchasing the X.
It seems they forgot to rotate (CPP) and snap in the plastic retainer. Once I got it attached to the clutch master cylinder pushrod properly, I went for a drive. Lo and behold it works like a champ!!!:thumbsup::)

I just need to replace the bulb in on/off CC switch.

Thank you to all those who replied!! Especially you Budwich!!!
Cheers! Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

u check the cc fuse and it is fine. ill check the brake pressure switch tomorrow when it stops raining.

Well, I took the Sporty in and had the recall item fixed. Took them about all of 5 minutes... Did not fix the cruise control issue, though. I have to do further searching for this one.

Here's a diagnostic test from this thread
Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING:
This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.

l Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator lamp on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that the speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.

l Note:
If the ON switch is not pressed within five seconds after entering diagnostic mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.

Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RSM (resume), CST (coast) and SET/ACCEL.

l The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is pressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the light goes out for the previous switch.

l After all five speed control switches complete the sequence, the indicator lamp will flash to indicate a pass or fail:

— 1 flash - Test passed (with dynamic throttle pull).

— 2 flashes - BPP switch is defective, circuit is defective or brake pedal is applied; CPP switch is defective, circuit is defective or clutch pedal is applied.

— 3 flashes - Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is defective.

— 4 flashes - Vehicle speed sensor is out of range or not connected.

l Immediately after the static test has passed, the speed control servo will then perform a dynamic test automatically by actuating the throttle lever from 1 mm to 10 mm of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the actuator cable, verify the correct connection of the actuator cable to the throttle lever, and make sure the throttle returns back to the idle position. If improper connection and/or binding or sticking of actuator is observed, go to Symptom Chart.

l Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to Symptom Chart.

The post before it by dogfriend had an almost identical diagnostic but didn't have the part about the immediate 5 flashes which is the result I got and went looking for clarification.

I have a 2000 Mountaineer that did it before and after the "fix", so I might try to replace the pressure switch and see if that helps.

96x Puddle Light Installation

Curtis, I was going through an old post I had made and saw on your info that you had installed puddle light's on your 96x. I have a couple puddle light's I purchased a while ago and was wondering if you had any wiring info and tip's on the installation. It would be greatly appreciated!

I did have the door panels off a couple month's ago, (Replaced factory door speakers) and it looks like there is not much room in there!

Mine has the interior lighting where when you insert and turn the key in the door lock the interior lights come on, (For Approx 20 seconds).

Did your's have this type setup and if so did you intercept the wiring going to the door lock? I thought that might work but I was hopeing to be able to turn on the puddle light's with the dimmer switch also.

Thank's again!
Cheer's, Rick

hey guys i have the 98 exploder....explorer sport 4.0L efi and was curious cause for mine the cc wont engage at all it seems like something wrong with the switch cause i replaced the module to see if that was the case but so far no luck. how would i go about removing the cc switch when its steering wheel mounted?
I tried to do the diagnostics by pressing the OFF button *speed control blinked once* then hit the ON button and nothing happened does that mean that i have a faulty relay or what?

I have an 03 sport trac which had the same problem. I replaced the switches in the s/wheel which solved the prob for a while but started again about a month later. check the stoplight sw on the pedal. sometimes grit can get in the plunger and prevent it from full movement, it sends a false signal and doesn't allow the cruise to engage. clean it off and manually push the plunger in and out a few times, sometimes simple is best. hope that helps

Back