Cruise control works, but not ideally. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control works, but not ideally.

mcfixstuff

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4WD A/T
As the title suggests, my cruise control works, but not perfectly. When it set the cruise control, it actually drops about 3mph, then holds the speed. If I press the accelerate button, it actually drops my speed by another 2mph. If I press the brake to cancel the cruise control, then press resume, it'll grab the same speed again. I'd like to have a 100% working cruise control, anyone know what might be causing it to drop the speed when I set cruise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know why that one is setting a speed below what you are driving when you press the button. I'd suspect the control actuator, the large device and the cable leading to it. I don't think those older systems added one mph when you touched the Accel button. You have to press that and hold it to make it gain speed, so try that first and see if you can get it to settle where you want it by letting go at a slightly faster speed than you want.

The later CC has a one touch feature, touching the Accel or Decel gains or drops one mph. I'm going to adapt a later Explorer V8 CC to my old 73 Ranchero, using that main CC module, the cable to the TB, and an Explorer steering wheel. The brains of the system are in that under hood module. You might be able to swap a later 90's CC into your 1st gen, the OHV was in those through about 2000.

You have to press that and hold it to make it gain speed, so try that first and see if you can get it to settle where you want it by letting go at a slightly faster speed than you want.
It does work if I press and hold it, but after I let go, it drops 2mph from where it is, then sets.
Too bad there isn't a way of just repairing, or recalibrating them.

I think you are looking at either replacing the CC module, and/or cable, or swapping out the system. I doubt there are rebuild services for many CC modules. I think I would take a trip to a local JY, and see what they had for a 2nd gen Explorer with the same OHV 4.0 engine. It may be simple to swap those under hood parts, hopefully just the wiring connector could be different(cut off the newer pigtail from the bay harness). Check the number of wires going to the CC module, if those match in number, it might be very easy to do that swap.

Check the CC cable for any slack as it connects to the TB and CC, the throttle cable also. If everything seems tight, the CC module is most likely faulty.

Does that system have VSS? Had some of those problems on a Mustang..

The 2nd gen has an odd VSS system starting in 1998, it uses the rear ABS sensor instead of the trans speed sensor. That's a good thought, the CC has to have a speed signal. The speed signal is the same for the Explorers before 1998, it comes from the sensor in the back of the trans, or TC if 4WD. The 98 began some weird VSS conditioned signal, routed through the ABS, which now seems stupid to do. That's why engine swaps always have trouble with 98-01 Explorer PCM's, into non Explorers. The other components are the same besides those odd VSS path items(rear ABS, ABS module and G-force sensor(part of that 98-01 ABS circuitry)).

Back