cruise control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cruise control

gilbey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0 sohc
have a problem with cruise control worked internittant over first few days of ownership although once it was on it was ok had to push on button a few times

last time used it came on ok then went off on its own 2 miles down the road never to work again

has anyone any pointers

thanks

chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99 explorer 4x4 sohc 4.0 with a similar problem. Most times I have to hit the SET button repeatedly (up to a hundred times) to get the cruise to lock on (steady speed control light) otherwise it just flashes for a 1/10 second or so while the button is pressed......other times it sets right away.......I have replaced all the buttons but that has had no effect. So I'm waiting to hear what the problem is too! :confused:

might be a faulty clock spring in the steering wheel, do the button lights go off n on when you turn the wheel around?

Si

crusie control

the on off button light up when lights are on but right hand sides dont
they seem still no action where the left ones are ok could just be faulty buttons i suppose

dont know how they come off will take a look this weekend be good to get it working but not end of the world

getting the buttons off is very easy. look on your steering wheel trim ring, you will see a plastic cap on each side, pop them off, and take the two bolts out (this unscrews your air bag). when that is off, there are two screws on each side holding the cruise buttons in place. unscrew them and they will come out. also have you checked the brake switch under the hood on the master cylinder? that also my be your problem. there is a post on here saying that ford had a recall on them. maybe see if your truck is one of them

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171739

yes these is a wire in the front of the master cylinder left side of engine next to that is a small fuse box with space for 2 relays in this box i have only one relay the one towatds the front of the car back one missing

dont know whats that is for?

NOte, b4 youy tamper with the stearing wheel, disconect battery and wait for 30 mins to reduce the chance of the air bag going off....................may be a big surprise!
DO NOT DO THIS WITH A *** IN YOUR MOUTH IN CASE THE BAG DOES GO OFF! ( or a pint of beer in your hand in case you spill any!

Good luck
H

Back