• Register Today It's free!

Crunching Sound

98Rig

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
have a 92 explorer and when i turn all the way to the left i get a crunch sound. it has 4wd but this happens in 2wd. also seem if i stop hard i get a little crunch from the front end also. any ideas?

My polyurethane radius arm bushings make a squeaky crunchy sound sometimes when turning or stopping. If you stand outside your X and rock it side to side can you hear the sound?

have a 92 explorer and when i turn all the way to the left i get a crunch sound. it has 4wd but this happens in 2wd. also seem if i stop hard i get a little crunch from the front end also. any ideas?

Although the front axles do not rotate when in 2wd the stub axle shafts that passes through the steering knuckle still need to articulate (at the u-joints) with any change in steering input. As such the sharper the turn the more the u-joint must articulate and more likely it is to make noise.. When were the U-joints last changed?

ok thanks, plus it pulled a code today. 172 o2 sensor lean, the check engine light will come on after truck warms up to normal and its a stored code. i erased it and dorve to work and happened again. now when it reads lean does it adjust for more fuel?? this mean its a bad o2 sensor or is it something else causing it?

Back