Crushed Exhaust at Catalytic Converter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crushed Exhaust at Catalytic Converter

jewlz

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Hey all,

I was driving in a field in the dark last night, and managed to drive my front tires off a ledge and bottomed out on a rather tall rock. After being pulled out, the car is running quite rough and loud, and i can see that i completely crushed the exhaust where it goes into the drivers side Catalytic converter, tearing the pipe open.

I've tried searching for cat removal and/or replacement. I'm looking to do a junkyard or DIY fix but I don't have access to a shop until next week and I'm wondering how easy it is to do in the driveway (at or below freezing temperatures). If anybody has any comments or suggestions for a fix, or a way to get the car through till next week without it sounding like a small airplane please post.

-Julian

Usually the exhaust is the most rusted part of the car due to the high temperatures. It is extremelly hard to remove the header without breaking the bolts, usually involves acetilene heating and maybe drilling out some left-overs.
This is even harder in northern states and Canada (rust belt) because of the winter salt on the roads.

Usually the exhaust is the most rusted part of the car due to the high temperatures. It is extremelly hard to remove the header without breaking the bolts, usually involves acetilene heating and maybe drilling out some left-overs.
This is even harder in northern states and Canada (rust belt) because of the winter salt on the roads.

That's what i figured...

I examined it further, it looks like the pipe is bent up towards the transmission and it is pretty much touching the shifter linkage, which makes me nervous.

-Julian

That's what i figured...

I examined it further, it looks like the pipe is bent up towards the transmission and it is pretty much touching the shifter linkage, which makes me nervous.

-Julian
Get a Sawzall and cut out the damaged pipe,and replace. You can get exhaust pipe at any auto parts store. And if need be, rent a Sawzall at tool rentals. I say Sawzall because it will be easier than trying to use an exhaust pipe cutter.

Back