• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Cummins 2.8 Repower Crate motor is out. Who will be first ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
Very cool. The only thing that worries me is, if I were camping some place cold, and it wouldn't start in the morning.

roscoe 0202

Reaction score
City, State
salt lake city utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
I bet that it has an intake heater on it that would get it to start that is why it has a wait ti start kight.
roscoe

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Nice for rockcrawling, and it probably get's better fuel economy than the 4.0 V6, but it still isn't a great motor for when you need wheel speed, in hill climbing, mud, etc.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
I've considered it but not ready to put out the 8-9k for it. I have driven a Jeep with the Cummins 2.8 swap and have a few friends that are involved with the development of the engine. it is a great little motor that comes with just about everything to get it going including the wiring harness and pedal. There are 2 suppliers currently for motor mounts and adapters. The fuel economy is awesome and the power I think would be perfect for replacing the 4L.

stanleycr1

Reaction score
City, State
Ivor,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT,93 SPORT,92 SPORT
If they are getting 25 to 28 mpg in a jeep I would think a 2wd Sport would be well over 30 maybe even 35 if its was geared properly

Tech By Trade

Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
Some day I would really like to attempt a 12v in a square body 3+3 or burban, but for a small hunting truck this would be ideal, but the price kind of kills it for a seasonal beater.

Gary Crist

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
TEXAS a whole different country $1K Green AWD
City, State
TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 AWD V8
Callsign
KI6FG
Years back I built a Olds diesel 350 for my dad. Put it into a Olds 98 plush mobile.
Averaging about 80 from Albuquerque to OKC he got 27 mpg.

GL on the oil burner...

yostyexplorer94

Yost Offroad
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
South Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Callsign
yosty
I want to put one in the fiancee's 1993 limited explorer as a daily driver, but i doubt the finances will ever allow it.

2stroke

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Sport
If you were a big diesel guy, maybe. Even with unlimited funds, I would still rather fit a 4.9L inline 6, and that has similar torque. Doesn't really matter for me, I can barely find the time to get my 4.0 back together. I'm confident it will be together this winter, knock on wood...