Current code help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Current code help please

js4x4stroke

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT
I have a 2010 Explorer XLT 4.0 with 88,000 miles that the check engine light is on. I borrowed a Matco scanner and got:
p0161 O2 sensor circuit heater circuit bank 2 sensor 2
P0403 exhaust gas re circulation A control circuit
P0443 evaporative emission system purge control valve A circuit
P1000 OBD system readiness test complete

I have changed the bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor, the vapor canister purge valve, and the vapor canister vent solenoid and still have the codes return after clearing them. I spoke with the local mechanic and he doesn't have any advice on what the problem is and I would greatly appreciate any advice I can get before I have to take it to the stealer-ship. Thank you for any help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a connector somewhere with a bad connection. Maybe at the PCM?

Check the 3 main harness connectors on the passenger side on the PCM. Unclip them, maybe blow them with some air and reinstall tight and lock the tabs.

You get codes cleared? Please ID parts

Hi, I have same vehicle as you, same codes. On the P0443, EVAP System Purge Control Valve Circuit, would that part be the same as AutoZone's Canister Purge Valve, located near the brake fluid reservoir?

6-cylinders-e-4-0l-mfi-sohc

Can you tell me where the EGR valve is, and the EGR Control Circuit?

Can you tell me where the PCM is located?

I am going to measure the resistance on the EVAP canister purge valve, which should be between 30 and 38 ohms, and, clean the connector at the PCM, before changing any parts.

Having a hard time finding any pictures of the 2010 4.0, the factory service manual is expensive. also, don't see pictures on this forum.

Please post if you fixed the problem and how you did it.

Thanks.

I located the ECM, by the passenger side kick plate.

I tested resistance on the EVAP purge valve solenoid, it was 3.7, and should be between 30 and 38.

Will get one from autozone for $60, see if it clears all codes.

Well, guess my cheap Harbor Freight multimeter was not able to go low enough for an accurate reading.

I put ohm dial down to 200, lowest it would go. My solenoid read 3.7. went to autozone, to get a new one. tested resistence. it read 3.7. So, guess in the future will know to move the decimal point over one space to right for the correct number.

Back to square one.

After chasing this problem over a year I finally found the solution. The PCM was bad. Ford quoted me nearly $2000 for a new PCM and flashing. Too rich for my blood especially since there was no guarantee that would fix it so I purchased a rebuilt one that was pre flashed, but still had to have ford flash the keys so it would start. It no longer has the check engine light on and the fuel mileage has gone back up. I wanted to let others know if they have the same problem what solved it for me. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for the update!!

I have a similar problem with mine.

I get the same code for the oxygen sensor, but I also get a P1633 which is low voltage from the KAM.

Question:
How did you check your PCM to know that is was bad?

I do get horrible fuel consumption....

After changing parts that went with the corresponding codes and checking the wiring i still had the same codes pop back up. But the one code I couldn't understand was "P1000 OBD readiness test not complete" that would pop up as soon as I turned the key on after I cleared the codes. That was why I suspected the computer. I took it to ford and had a second opinion to confirm it. It was suggested to me to have the original computer re-flashed, but spending $300+ on a re-flash that had no guarantee and might not work, so I bought a rebuilt one that was pre-flashed for less than $500 with a lifetime guarantee. Hope this helps.

Back