• Register Today It's free!

Custom Cold Air Intake

Spencer Woodring

Reaction score
City, State
Waynesboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer Sport
I’ve installed a custom cold air intake on my 2010 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 and when I first installed it, it would start up just fine but slowly drop in rpms and soon shut off. I heard that the stock mass air flow sensor was only restricted to the stock box, so I bought a jet mass air flow sensor to hopefully resolve the stalling issue, but after installing the jet mass air flow sensor it would still start but drop rpms and shut off. I don’t know if I have to re program the ecu to allow more air flow or if their is an easier solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the intake a reputable brand? Many intakes seem like an upgrade, but actually do not work as well, and can let in a lot less air. Seems like an issue with the actual intake, not the sensor or the ecu. It’s common that a lack of air will cause the engine to drop rps and die.

MAFs that are supposed to be calibrated to not need a tune can cause issues if the calibration isn't spot on. Are any codes showing up?

Is the intake a reputable brand? Many intakes seem like an upgrade, but actually do not work as well, and can let in a lot less air. Seems like an issue with the actual intake, not the sensor or the ecu. It’s common that a lack of air will cause the engine to drop rps and die.
It’s a spectre maf adapter with a 4 in bbk air filter.

MAFs that are supposed to be calibrated to not need a tune can cause issues if the calibration isn't spot on. Are any codes showing up?
No I would not have any codes, I heard somewhere that if the ecu sees the car running too lean than it will shut of power to the injectors and it will not run. I just don’t know if I have to tune the ecu to allow more air flow.

Back