custom colored ford emblems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

custom colored ford emblems

ok i got this off of a ford probe site but it should be very similar for the explorers

Here's how it's done.

1) Warm the Emblem with a hairdryer for about 2 minutes. Turn it over and carefully pry around the perimeter with a thin flat object. Now you'll have the front (painted) part (piece 1) and rear seal (piece 2) seperated. Set piece 2 aside where it won't get dirty, the adhesive on it is enough to reseal the finished emblem. CAUTION: if you don't warm the emblem enough before prying, you will crack the clear portion!

2) In order to change the color you must remove the stock color. On the front of piece 1 you'll notice the silver "FORD" is raised on a blue background. When you flip it over the "FORD" is inset and the background is raised. Take fine sandpaper (or a fine emery board) and carefully sand away the background color.

3) Now paint the backside of the emblem any color you want. Touch-up paint or Testors model paints and brush will work fine for this. Allow it to dry thoroughly.

4) Put the 2 pieces back together. And admire your work. If you broke off the mounting tabs removing your emblem, 3M auto adhesive tape works great.

You can also sand the front of the emblem with 400grit sandpaper and clearcoat it, if it has any minor imperfections.

http://www.performanceprobe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5140&d=1118894584

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok i got this off of a ford probe site but it should be very similar for the explorers

Here's how it's done.

1) Warm the Emblem with a hairdryer for about 2 minutes. Turn it over and carefully pry around the perimeter with a thin flat object. Now you'll have the front (painted) part (piece 1) and rear seal (piece 2) seperated. Set piece 2 aside where it won't get dirty, the adhesive on it is enough to reseal the finished emblem. CAUTION: if you don't warm the emblem enough before prying, you will crack the clear portion!

2) In order to change the color you must remove the stock color. On the front of piece 1 you'll notice the silver "FORD" is raised on a blue background. When you flip it over the "FORD" is inset and the background is raised. Take fine sandpaper (or a fine emery board) and carefully sand away the background color.

3) Now paint the backside of the emblem any color you want. Touch-up paint or Testors model paints and brush will work fine for this. Allow it to dry thoroughly.

4) Put the 2 pieces back together. And admire your work. If you broke off the mounting tabs removing your emblem, 3M auto adhesive tape works great.

You can also sand the front of the emblem with 400grit sandpaper and clearcoat it, if it has any minor imperfections.

http://www.performanceprobe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5140&d=1118894584

I sharpied a black border and then filled in the letters with black sharpie, then clearcoated mine. Silver bg. Looks Amazing!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Did mine black...

SDC10007-2.jpg

How did you do this on an '03? I've already done this on my '99 but we're trying to figure out how to do this on my brother's '02 and it does not look possible.

custexplorer said:
I sharpied a black border and then filled in the letters with black sharpie, then clearcoated mine. Silver bg. Looks Amazing!

Pics?

How did you do this on an '03? I've already done this on my '99 but we're trying to figure out how to do this on my brother's '02 and it does not look possible.

Pics?

No pics right now, and to get them off on a 3rd gen, hold hairdryer to it till it gets hot and cut it off with fishing like for the back one, and for the grille one push it out from behind.

No pics right now, and to get them off on a 3rd gen, hold hairdryer to it till it gets hot and cut it off with fishing like for the back one, and for the grille one push it out from behind.

Aren't the 3rd gen emblems one piece though?

Good idea for when you put them in the oven...SIT THERE and watch it, dont be like me, and go pee, then get back on EF for a min, then you'll FORGET ITS IN THERE! Lol thats what I did, and mines all warped, glad it was just an extra, I dont dare try it on my good one on my 95 lmao

Good idea for when you put them in the oven...SIT THERE and watch it, dont be like me, and go pee, then get back on EF for a min, then you'll FORGET ITS IN THERE! Lol thats what I did, and mines all warped, glad it was just an extra, I dont dare try it on my good one on my 95 lmao

I just sat it in front of a hairdryer, but mine looks better now. I used black plasti-dip then two THIN layers of clear coat. Its black with a slight bit of sheen to it and it looks amazing with my black grill!

No... just make sure you get them hot enough so they don't tear.

We tried it out yesterday on the front emblem of my brother's '02. I got it too hot to touch with a hairdryer and I still couldn't wedge it out with a thinner blade on a swiss army knife. Luckily I had an extra emblem from the JY taken off an old Windstar that's an exact fit. Not sure how to tackle the rear now.

is there a way to get the inside chrome off the FORD part without making the clear plastic cloudy? when i pealed my clear plastic cover off part of the chrome came off, so i was just going to peal it all off and do FORD black.

Can you remove the chrome part completly. I want to the "Ford" in blue and the background black.

Anyone want to sell me a black one? I cannot figure out this process of making my own. What's the going rate on a black emblem? This is for the front grille of a 2006 X.

if i werent such a purist i would make a blue bandana version of the emblem. thought about making a suicidal Tendencies bandana on the emblem also saw a carbon fiber one in the pictures part of the forum.

YB... If you make a black Sui one... I will buy a couple of them! Freakin' awesome!

Thats sick dude! If you can get it to look decent, you've got a customer!

I am so doing mine tomorrow black and on my f150 red

Accidentally cracked the blue insert after heating and peeling.
Cleaned the remnants using acetone and cotton swabs.
Decided to leave it chrome, something different.
Ford even sells them in the chrome finish. (FordEmblems.com)

DSC00024.jpg

Im heading to a junk yard tomorrow morning to get me some emblems! I'm goin to be doin a white on black look....I'll be posting pics when finished!

Only question is will spray paint for outdoor medals work?

I just used a cheap 98 cent can of black for mine, and like a 3 dollar clear beause I sanded em smooth and re cleared em, hmm I'll post some new pic looks like i deleted the other ones

Back