Custom ebay aluminum radiator ??

98 MERC

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0
Check this out !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271853768959?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Guy claims its a 100% fit for a 5.0 explorer mountaineer.But my guess is its for a 4.0 v6.He doesn't know hardly anything about his product when i talked to him.

For some reason people are buying these things like crazy.Also if you look close at the pictures you can see the piece of wood right through the radiator plain as day ! I am guessing that its way to thin of a unit ? Maybe not enough cores ? Its hard to find something like this but lately it seems the aftermarket is heating up for explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check this out !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271853768959?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Guy claims its a 100% fit for a 5.0 explorer mountaineer.But my guess is its for a 4.0 v6.He doesn't know hardly anything about his product when i talked to him.

For some reason people are buying these things like crazy.Also if you look close at the pictures you can see the piece of wood right through the radiator plain as day ! I am guessing that its way to thin of a unit ? Maybe not enough cores ? Its hard to find something like this but lately it seems the aftermarket is heating up for explorers.

It says it doesn't fit my '96 Eddie... But I just had mind out a few weeks ago, and it looks pretty similar to my plastic tank one. I might grab one in the spring so see if it fits my project truck.

It says it doesn't fit my '96 Eddie... But I just had mind out a few weeks ago, and it looks pretty similar to my plastic tank one. I might grab one in the spring so see if it fits my project truck.

I wonder if this ebay one even has a trans cooler built into it ? The guy was clueless about the thing.It looks so thin i doubt it has enough cores built in for a v8.But could be wrong.

I wonder if this ebay one even has a trans cooler built into it ? The guy was clueless about the thing.It looks so thin i doubt it has enough cores built in for a v8.But could be wrong.

it does appear to have a trans cooler built in, but maybe just not the correct size of lines. you may need an adapter, I forgot what size lines go into my Rad.

single core radiator

Personally, I would never buy a single core (1 inch thick) radiator for a V6 and especially not for a V8. I think the first modification I made to my SOHC V6 2000 Sport was to replace the stock single core radiator with a dual core radiator that was used on the 1997 SOHC V6 Explorers. I do prefer metal side tanks to the plastic ones.

It looks like a v6 radiator, and there is a huge difference. For one the v8 ac condenser brackets are missing.

AH good catch indeed.How many cores does the stock 5.0 radiator have ?

I would like to upgrade to a better radiator as mine is original 1998.

That looks like a single core rad, the stock V8 had a duel core.

Any way to get a better radiator with more cores for the 5.0 ? Would be nice if a high performance mustang 5.0 radiator could fit in a mountaineer.

Any way to get a better radiator with more cores for the 5.0 ? Would be nice if a high performance mustang 5.0 radiator could fit in a mountaineer.

if you find a rad with the same dimensions, you could have somebody weld on some brackets. only thing I would be worried about would be the location of the hoses, and if you can get one with the correct size trans cooler line inputs. I am 99% sure there is not an alternative option to the stock aluminum/plastic tank rads for our trucks.

Back