custom exhaust oppinion

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey everyone,
I have decided that I want to do a custom exhaust on my 96 4.0 OHV instead of just buying an overpriced kit. I was gonna keep it pretty simple with maybe a borla muffler and a little larger piping but I was curious on what other people have done. Also I had a question for anyone who has done this. Do I need to put the muffler where the stock muffler is or can I run piping and put the muffler closer back near the exhaust exit? I have found when building exhausts that you get a better sound when the muffler is closer to the exit. I have never done an exhaust on an explorer though so I have no idea. All comments are appreciated. Thanks!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried it once...

Alllll of the sound came in to the cabin... it got on my nerves, and I had it removed. Better luck with yours!:)

Donner, what had you tried?

I think it would be hard to rig the muffler at the end, with the space there. Plus, I think if you were off-roading it might have more problems, catching and such.

no off roading... Flowmaster

It was a mess... all I heard was the muffler. It sounded great outside, but inside was just a mess.

When you did what? Details man DETAILS. My current redneck setup is from the cats, to the muffler, then just turned down right there on the muffler, can definitely hear it in the cabin but I don't care.

Flowmaster 40 Delta flow (Supposedly) by the way.

donner, did you put the muffler in the stock spot or did you move it around? I am going to crawl under today to look and see if there is any other place when i might be able to tuck a muffler in towards the back. Otherwise maybe i'll just go for the gibson kit, any opinions on that one?

Theres a sticky at the top of this page that has a bunch of 4.0 sound clips. What kind of sound are you looking for? How loud?

Dan

they did it twice...

When you did what? Details man DETAILS. My current redneck setup is from the cats, to the muffler, then just turned down right there on the muffler, can definitely hear it in the cabin but I don't care.

donner, did you put the muffler in the stock spot or did you move it around? I am going to crawl under today to look and see if there is any other place when i might be able to tuck a muffler in towards the back. Otherwise maybe i'll just go for the gibson kit, any opinions on that one?

The first was in the stock location installed by a chain shop, too loud... so I took it to another shop (recommended by Ford) and they moved it... but it's just the sound comes in from the back and cargo areas... I didn't see how they did anything, and I didn't take pics at the time... but they had two locations to put it, they said stock location or (over to the side) that's all I remember (2004) This was a fabricator in another city, very creative and all they do is mufflers and tail pipes... (keep in mind what is noise to some is music to many :D On the outside of the vehicle, it sounded like bliss! If you don't mind the noise inside, that Flowmaster is a good one! I'm no sure what series, but it was smooth :D

Theres a sticky at the top of this page that has a bunch of 4.0 sound clips. What kind of sound are you looking for? How loud?

Dan

Hunterdan, do you know what locations they can be placed in? I don't have any belly pics of the vehicle..

Nocturnall, you're killin' me :D:D:D:D Stanley's is closed, they didn't do it, but they do mufflers and pipes too.. 1.800.My.Muffler they can tell you anything about placement...

My old setup (old as in I just changed it 2 days ago) is 2.5" offroad Y pipe feeding into a single 2.5" pipe. That went straight to a original 40 series flowmaster muffler, then our the rear to the side.

I got a ticket for that setup due to it being so loud (cats stripped and original 40, yeah it was loud lol) BUT i got a lot of comments on it. I loved that set up, really turned heads

Now Im running the offroad Y feeding into a single high flow cat then a turbo thrush muffler. I did this to pass inspection. I will be keeping the cat on but put the old muffler on. That should keep it quiet enough not to get harrassed...we shall see!

FYI I also have a sticky at the top of this forum where 4.0 exhaust bytes were posted up

A muffler can be placed anywhere after the cats as long as there is plenty of room, but the best place to mount a muffler from all my research is as close to the cats as possible. I think the futher back you place it, the quieter it is in the cab, but you then loose performance from what I understand. There really isnt that much room behind the rear axle and a straight section of pipe to place a muffler, unless you ditch the spare.... I would stick to the stock location or in that area. Listen to the sound clips and decide what you are looking for. I recommend the Cherrybomb Pro, but I may be switching to something that is a bit quieter in the cab, either the Elite or a MAC.

Dan

A muffler can be placed anywhere after the cats as long as there is plenty of room, but the best place to mount a muffler from all my research is as close to the cats as possible. I think the futher back you place it, the quieter it is in the cab, but you then loose performance from what I understand. There really isnt that much room behind the rear axle and a straight section of pipe to place a muffler, unless you ditch the spare.... I would stick to the stock location or in that area. Listen to the sound clips and decide what you are looking for. I recommend the Cherrybomb Pro, but I may be switching to something that is a bit quieter in the cab, either the Elite or a MAC.

Dan

Dan,

Have you heard flowmaster mufflers in the past, ess. the 40 series? What would you compare the cherry bomb pro to?

I was looking into that or the vortex since I cant run my old exhaust system anymore due to the law man

It is louder than the super 44, about on par with the original 40 that I had, just a better tone IMO. Like I said, I was thinking of moving up to a longer case length muffler, like the Elite, which i believe is a 3 chamber. Or going to a MAC, which James said is out of stock until sometime in January. The only reason I want to get another muffler is just under certain circumstances, its too loud inside, but only when I am really trying to keep it quiet, but I think that has to do with the fact that the motor is lugging more, with me keeping my foot out of it. I really like the tone and sound of the Pro that I have.

Dan

how does it compare to the flowmaster original 40 as far as cruising speeds go and drone? I love the acceleration, but just cruising has horrible drone sometimes on the original 40

im pretty much just looking for something that is a little more throatier and im going to try to run slightly larger piping to try to get a little more air through the system and maybe get a littler performance...we'll see. Anyway, I have a cherry bomb lying around from one of my last exhaust systems so maybe ill try that.

The cherrybomb i have is not the glasspack type, it is a chambered muffler. http://www.cherrybomb.com/pro-mufflers.html
That is the muffler I am running. I would also highly suggest having new pipe bent up. I went with 2.5" and think that is a good size to use. As for drone, on the highway it is not noticeable at all. Don't have to crank the radio that loud, but my truck is just loud.. Tires, wind noise, etc... The exhaust note doesn't really add to the extra noise. I never had much of a problem with the FM 40 and drone... But I am highly impressed with this muffler thus far. I may just stick with it, and have a nice big tip welded on the end and have it actually welded up.

Dan

exactly the one i bought on sale for $15.85 last year. Sounds like i have a project this coming week. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and it sounds real loud and deep.

Back